JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys got a few quick questions about the brass I'm seeing out of my POF Revolution 308.

This thing has ran perfect for me for the 300 or so rounds I've got down the pipe, but I noticed the brass has some really significant marks on the rear of the rim and deformations in the neck.

Is this due to autoloaders just being rough upon ejection or perhaps a little over gassed?

I've been saving the brass to give away to someone here at NWFA once I get a good stock of it. As I do not reload. Are these usable cases still?
Lake city surplus

I attached a couple pictures. Hard to see but there is a bur that is significant enough to cut ya if you ran it along your delicates.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

There neck is probably just from hitting the ground. I have a 30-30 that does this if I don't manually unload. Can't say about the rear bur, though

Also its only happening on about 30% of the rounds fired. Others have marks but not as significant
does the LC 7.62x51 VS the 308 match coincide with the difference? Remember they are different in regards to load. Do you have the 3 or 5 position adjustable gas block? The necks look to be somewhat normal but I would maybe be checking headspacing/lockup with the marks on the bases. Have you cleaned and closely inspected the bolt?

does the LC 7.62x51 VS the 308 match coincide with the difference? Remember they are different in regards to load. Do you have the 3 or 5 position adjustable gas block? The necks look to be somewhat normal but I would maybe be checking headspacing/lockup with the marks on the bases. Have you cleaned and closely inspected the bolt?

Only ran about 10 match through it, had the same marks on a few of them. Seems to be consistent across the board through all ammo about 1 out of 3 with burs, all have noticeable extraction marks.

Neck damage is due to them being extra soft and easily dented, the other marks on the case head look like they are from the ejector while there is significant pressure from the case head on the bolt face as it rotates to unlock, that to me sounds like its over-gased.

Neck damage is due to them being extra soft and easily dented, the other marks on the case head look like they are from the ejector while there is significant pressure from the case head on the bolt face as it rotates to unlock, that to me sounds like its over-gased.

That was my thoughts on it, might try messing around with the gas settings a bit.
Thanks for the help!

I agree with adjusting the gas block, it's possibly overgassed. Here's how to adjust it. Start with the block in the lowest position, that allows the least amount of gas. Load one round in a magazine, fire it and check if the action locks back. If not, go to the next higher setting and repeat. When you find the minimum setting that consistently locks the action back, open up one more to guarantee reliability. This is how it's done with a FAL.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top