JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My 1970 Blazer is pig rich right off idle always sputtering and trying to stall on me. I need a rebuilt and someone to tune the complicated thing.

Back in the day we would say 'tear that Quadra-bubblegum off and put on a Holly' but Hollys are gas hogs. I get decent gas mileage w these small primaries even with the worn out seats and needles, plus this old beast is all original soo.. I need a rebuild.

Check this out kids, in the 70s gas station pumps had only two digits for the price per gallon because they never figured a gallon of gas would ever cost more than 99 cents!

I can swap out a rebuilt if there's a local place to buy one, but like I said these are complicated to tune. Plus gas is unleaded now w ethanol so it needs to be jetted/tuned for that.

You mean a Rochester "QuadraTOILET"?? I've got on of them.

I've got the man for you! HE ain't cheap, but he set up the Quadrajet on my GM crate 350 in my '84 half ton to run better than when it was new! Give "Majhor Murray" a call. He's down on Milwaukie a block or two South of the Aladin theater. He's a special interest and hot rod guy, just looking at the cars at the shop is a blast from the past.

Mike

Rochesters aren't as complicated as you might think. If you get a rebuild kit and take your time they are fairly simple to rebuild yourself. Just pay attention to the instructions that come with the rebuild kit and have it laid out on a big towell when you are working on it. The towell will catch any small check valve balls that might fall out when you turn it upside down.

Before you blame everything on the carburetor are you sure the valves are good and properly adjusted? Are you sure the timing belt isn't worn and sloppy? Has the distributor ever been cleaned up? A lot of times the mechanical advance on them doesn't work well because they get gummed up and the weights don't return to center. Have you checked for vacuum leaks? I'm not saying it doesn't need rebuilt but there are several things that could contribute to the symptoms you listed.

IMO Rochester Quadra Jets are the best carb for SB GMs if you actually drive them on the roads. Holleys are good for those who like to go to the drag strip and go in straight lines and like to tune them between every run.

Savas Tuning & Automotive
17843 SE McLoughlin Blvd
Milwaukie, OR 97267
(503) 653-5155

Paul Savas is the best carb mechanic in Portland.
At one time he had ten guys rebuilding custom carbs out of his old shop. With the advent of fuel injection, his special talents are only used by hot rodders and guys like me that are still running older rigs.
Don't make the mistake and buy a Mexican rebuilt carb from a parts store. Your carb was specifically tuned for your engine, tranny and rear end.
When you hand over the original factory carb to Paul, he will ask you what you want out of it, more power or better mileage.
He built a custom tuning machine that he mounts your carb onto and then he dials it in perfectly for your engine.
Paul is not cheap, but your rig will never run as good once he's done.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top