JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As stated, I'm looking for load data for the Missouri Bullet Co. 200 gr. Hy-Tek coated round nose bullet, they call it the Odd Ball. Everything I can find in that weight is either SWC or jacketed, and I've already gotten a lesson in "not all xx bullets are the same". Powder's I have on hand are Bullseye, W231, CFE Pistol, and VV N320. Any leads or suggestions will be much appreciated. Later.

Dave

I use W231 in .45acp. I've been using Rainier Ballistics 200gr HPs They are plated. W231 measures very well and burns clean. HP-38 uses the same loads. Bullseye, being a flake powder, is popular but doesn't meter through the uniflow as nicely as 231. I don't really believe you need to find data for your exact bullet? Load the lower end for plated or cast.

I would choose either the 231 or bullseye, start at the lowest charge and work your way up doing a ladder test until you find what your gun likes best. from Lyman cast bullet 4th edition

IMG_20181228_161732763_HDR.jpg
this is a good place for cast bullet load data
Castpics and Reloaders Reference Online - Cast Bullet Data Lookup

Only thing I see off on that bullet is it's a .452 bullet so you'll need to seat very close to the "step" in the bullet. The rule of thumb is about the thickness of a thumb nail of the step showing. Other than that I'd just use the starting data for the lead 200gr SWC's and work up from there. Pretty much can't go wrong with W-231 in the 45 acp.

Appreciate the answers, guys, but what I was looking for was someone that had experience with that particular bullet, not just something similar. I can SWAG similar on my own, and from the responses I've been getting, will need to. I was just hoping that someone else had used that specific bullet before, and would be willing to pass along some info. Later.

Dave

Appreciate the answers, guys, but what I was looking for was someone that had experience with that particular bullet, not just something similar. I can SWAG similar on my own, and from the responses I've been getting, will need to. I was just hoping that someone else had used that specific bullet before, and would be willing to pass along some info. Later.

Dave
what works in my gun may not be the same for your gun etc etc when reloading you have to do your own testing don't rely on what some one else post

My standard 45 acp target load I have been shooting for over 20 ears. Not the same
bullet but it may give you a good starting point. Excellent accuracy in every 45 that I
have tried. 200 swc lead with 4 grains of Bullseye. Functions with standard power springs.
Just finished reloading 1K of this load.;)

My standard 45 acp target load I have been shooting for over 20 ears. Not the same
bullet but it may give you a good starting point. Excellent accuracy in every 45 that I
have tried. 200 swc lead with 4 grains of Bullseye. Functions with standard power springs.
Just finished reloading 1K of this load.;)

And I have a batch of test loads bracketing that load with a 200 gr. coated SWC, just waiting on my next range trip. And in all likelihood, that's probably what I'll try with the other bullet, although, since it's a RN vs. SWC, I'll probably also see what happens if I push it faster.

As to what works in mine vs. yours, I'm well aware that all guns are individuals to a certain extent, but if that was the primary factor, factory ammo would be a waste of time for most of us. But in fact, the opposite is true, their standard loads work acceptably in a majority of guns, and there are some that are considered the gold standard in almost all guns, FGMM comes to mind. And if someone had tried the same bullet at both light and heavy charges and it was terrible, chances are good I'd be wasting my time trying the same thing. So that's what I was hoping to avoid. So yes, I'll just have to do my own experimenting in my own guns, and see what I get. Later.

Dave

I think you might be micro-managing or over thinking this a bit. It's a 45acp with a 200gr RN bullet. It'll shoot just fine. Pick a load and shoot it. That'll give you a bench mark. Make a second load. Shoot it. Is it better or worse than the first/ adjust accordingly. I find the 200 grainers need to be driven about 900fps to get a standard sprung 1911 to cycle reliably.

I think you might be micro-managing or over thinking this a bit. It's a 45acp with a 200gr RN bullet. It'll shoot just fine. Pick a load and shoot it. That'll give you a bench mark. Make a second load. Shoot it. Is it better or worse than the first/ adjust accordingly. I find the 200 grainers need to be driven about 900fps to get a standard sprung 1911 to cycle reliably.

Somebody had to say it ^^^. :s0155: I found it to be true, too. A buncha' bullets and different powders and the results? They all hit the target. If you do your job aiming. Precision and good groups are probably more related to technique than your components.

You need to look at load data for what it really is. What it ISN'T is great recipes for you to hit the ten ring every time. Non of them Are What load data IS, is the results of a bullet they picked out of the blue (Well, Speer use their bullets, and Hornady theirs etc), and a powder out of the blue. And maybe they spin a wheel to figure what primer? Or Remington/Winchester or CCI PAY them to use theirs. Then they throw those components together, shoot 'em, and give YOU, the reloader, the results......As long, of course, as the results fall within safe limits that is.

I'm more interested in getting bullets that are cheap, powder, cheap/measures good and can be used in more than one caliber, primers? cheap, brass? Cheap/free. I think I might be frugal! :D Or, cheap!

EDIT: I guess I could get in trouble saying CHEAP so much. I should have said GOOD VALUE. Wolf/Tula primers are going to light that (hand gun) load just as good as Remington or Federal. If your able to buy 5000 CCI at $25.00/K, that's good value. Buy in bulk. Montana gold bullets by the thousand cost less than Hornady/100. .45 acp being a relative low pressure round, plated cost less than full jacketed, so I use Rainier Ballistics 200 grain. Berry's is also a good value. When you find a good powder that can be used in more than one caliber, get a 4-8#er. I should also say that I prefer a (hand gun) powder that has a wider range of weight per round. It gives me more flexibility. EG, Titegroupe VS W 231. I prefer the weight range of 231.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads