JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This past spring I ordered 200 rounds of 10 Gauge new manufacture ammo from a specialty cartridge company back east. I am not familiar with reloading or terms so please excuse my lack of term knowledge. When the rounds first arrived, I was a little concerned about the small thin piece of (paper ?) in the end holding the rounds in. The rounds appear to be folded in on the ends as shown in photo. As you can see over the past few months, many of the rounds have settling and are showing a distance between the paper and the end of shell. The rounds shoot well and have not yet caused any problems. Is this common? Is this a concern? What can be done? Thanks for your time and help! DSCN0058.JPG DSCN0059.JPG

I don't know about that amount of settling. Some of my reloaded shotgun shells settled slightly, but not that much. Could be the camera lens that makes it look excessive, what woult you say... 1/4" or 1/8".

That type of shell is using the paper end cap and a roll crimp. I haven't seen any factory ammo produced like that in a long long time. My reloader used the shells that had a star type crimp. The only problem I ever had with them was the crip opening up and allowing shot to leak out.

What size shot are those? They look like low base, target type loads but I'm not sure. The top pick looks more like high base.

Right now, I'm thinking there is not a reason to worry too much. I'd go out and pattern them on a big piece of paper over a piece of plywood. If they patter well, I think you're GTG. As long as the paper doesn't turn sideways and leak out shot.

Is that over card wad moving? I doubt it. I suspect it just looks like a "gap" there but accounting for the thick plastic radius passing completely by the card (which is proper and normal) it's contacting it hard at the shell wall.

I don't know about that amount of settling. Some of my reloaded shotgun shells settled slightly, but not that much. Could be the camera lens that makes it look excessive, what woult you say... 1/4" or 1/8".

That type of shell is using the paper end cap and a roll crimp. I haven't seen any factory ammo produced like that in a long long time. My reloader used the shells that had a star type crimp. The only problem I ever had with them was the crip opening up and allowing shot to leak out.

What size shot are those? They look like low base, target type loads but I'm not sure. The top pick looks more like high base.

Right now, I'm thinking there is not a reason to worry too much. I'd go out and pattern them on a big piece of paper over a piece of plywood. If they patter well, I think you're GTG. As long as the paper doesn't turn sideways and leak out shot.

I used a piece of paper to measure from the top edge down to the paper. It is 1/2 ince. The rounds are 30 caliber pellets I think they were 000 as I remember and there are supposed to be 54 of them per round. My gun is a 10 gauge coach with 18.5 barrels and at 15 yards these rounds pretty much just make one big hole. Is there anything (such as wax etc.) that could be put in to seal the paper and keep it from moving? Can the crimp be further rolled? Thanks for the help!

Is that over card wad moving? I doubt it. I suspect it just looks like a "gap" there but accounting for the thick plastic radius passing completely by the card (which is proper and normal) it's contacting it hard at the shell wall.

It has a very slight movement and is not tight into the shell.

I used a piece of paper to measure from the top edge down to the paper. It is 1/2 ince. The rounds are 30 caliber pellets I think they were 000 as I remember and there are supposed to be 54 of them per round. My gun is a 10 gauge coach with 18.5 barrels and at 15 yards these rounds pretty much just make one big hole. Is there anything (such as wax etc.) that could be put in to seal the paper and keep it from moving? Can the crimp be further rolled? Thanks for the help!

Holy moly! ... 54 triple ought pellets is a bunch!!!

If it makes a nice hole at 15yrds, it would seem that it fulfills your purpose.

I suppose one could put wax in the end.... but I don't see a reason to do that... 000 pellets are not going to leak out or pass by the cardboard unless it turns sideways.

Roll crimp tool instructions say to roll the hot plastic down until it meets the card snugged down over the load of shot. If this was done correctly, then the shot has settled. I wonder how it settled 1/2", but if they still work, it's gotta be ok.

Not an expert on roll crimped shotshells, but it looks like these have a pretty deep crimp to begin with. In the photo, I can see a small gap ( maybe .020"?) between the bottom of the crimp and the paper. Might could've been done tighter to begin with, so the wad would be a little more compressed and the paper disc would stay tight as the shot settles, but I don't expect these will have issues. If it were me, I might buy a different brand next time, but I wouldn't hesitate to use these.

Thanks everyone I feel much better! If anyone has problems with a T-Rex running rampant in their neighborhood just give me a yell! I think these will do the job :)

As an aside, the recommendation from the shikar - the guy running the tiger shoot [where you are most likely to find a need for a howdah pistol] - is to thrust the muzzles of the pistol into the tiger's mouth before shooting. It ruins the head, I'm told, but it won't ruin any plans that you may have had for the evening.

Maybe.

Mr Lancaster even made a FOUR-barrelled howdah pistol, in a variety of calibres, none of them exactly wimpish...

See -

Note the folding-down extension to the trigger - this is used in dire emergencies as a double-pull to make sure that all the barrels go off simultaneously.

Last Edited:
Don't go crazy with Elmers glue. Stuff can ruin the powder charge if allowed to seep down to it.

Hot glue gun will also work to keep the shot card in place.

Or buy a drill attachment roll crimp and roll it down a bit further.

However, if they aren't falling out on you, your fine. The diameter of the card should be larger than the ID of that crimped area, so unless it's really thin and can fold in on itself, it shouldn't go anywhere even if there is a gap and it can move up and down a bit with the shot.

Yes, I have done such myself. Preferred a tiny bead of calking instead as my perception was it worked better on my brass shells & black powder. YMMV
Tightbond 2. Damn woodworkers always have a bottle around. It dries fast and just a dab will do. Sticks to brass well and it's water resistant:D. I use it on my over shot cards in my .38 rodent rounds.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top