JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok guys,

I'm only 37, but when your eyes go from 20-10 to 20-15 to 20-20 inside of 4yrs...and now I think they are worse than that.

Anyone know of a good eyedoc anywhere from Albany to Portland?

Symptoms: Eyes are getting tired real quick. Doesn't matter whether it's both eyes open or one eye closed. Saturday I was at the range with my AR15 and things were managable at 25yds. Front sight in focus, rear sight "ok", target "ok". At 100yds. front sight "ok", rear sight "poor", target a blurry blob.

Had a optometrist in McMinnville do a set of glasses for me last year.
Bolle' Vigilantes (I provided the glasses and Rx insert frames).

Dominant eye front sight, other eye distance. Works great for USPSA
competition. I was at the point where shooting iron sights was more
of a PITA that it was worth.

Friendly, maybe not a lot of experience with shooters but he understood
the problem. Didn't cost a lot---$25 for a quick exam, $75 for the Rx
insert lenses. 3 days time.

Brian Morrissey. 503-472-0825. I think he may also work a couple of days
a week in Newberg.

Probably the best optometrist in the portland metro area - ****, all of Oregon - is Dr. Noles. Just ask the Blazers! Dr. Noles was the team eye doctor for most of the organization's history. (Paul Allen is still trying to get him back ;))

I like to think of him as one of the best-kept secrets of the area as well as one of the most interesting people I know. He used to work out of a small office next to washington square, but now has an office in a ritzy lake oswego neighborhood. Dont let that put you off tho, he is super nice and very very good at what he does. Visiting his office is a blast because he always has some crazy story to tell about his time with the blazers, army, or other world travels. Highly recommended.

<broken link removed>

Probably the best optometrist in the portland metro area - ****, all of Oregon - is Dr. Noles. Just ask the Blazers! Dr. Noles was the team eye doctor for most of the organization's history. (Paul Allen is still trying to get him back ;))

I like to think of him as one of the best-kept secrets of the area as well as one of the most interesting people I know. He used to work out of a small office next to washington square, but now has an office in a ritzy lake oswego neighborhood. Dont let that put you off tho, he is super nice and very very good at what he does. Visiting his office is a blast because he always has some crazy story to tell about his time with the blazers, army, or other world travels. Highly recommended.

<broken link removed>

No way! I work in this building, thanks!

I'd been wearing glasses since I was 10 years old and ended up having cataract surgery on both eyes two years ago. Best thing I've ever done. Now I just wear reading glasses and don't need glasses at all for driving or normal vision. My distance vision isn't perfect, but good enough to where I'm in no hurry about getting contacts again. It literrally changed my life.

The bad news is that your eyesight will probably keep changing in that direction for another 20 years, requiring new prescriptions. It doesn't happen overnight.

Once your eyes stabilize, you can have lasik surgery. Mine is what they call monovision. My right (dominant) eye is 20/20. My left eye is 20/60 - slightly nearsighted - deliberately. That means I can see at distance and also see closeup. Since vision is "additive" in the brain, I don't notice that one eye is always slightly blurry. I see better now than I did as a kid and no glasses needed.

Ok guys,

I'm only 37, but when your eyes go from 20-10 to 20-15 to 20-20 inside of 4yrs...and now I think they are worse than that.

Anyone know of a good eyedoc anywhere from Albany to Portland?

Symptoms: Eyes are getting tired real quick. Doesn't matter whether it's both eyes open or one eye closed. Saturday I was at the range with my AR15 and things were managable at 25yds. Front sight in focus, rear sight "ok", target "ok". At 100yds. front sight "ok", rear sight "poor", target a blurry blob.

I don't know any good eye docs, but that is exactly how mine started to go. At about 36 it was 20/10, 20/15, 20/20 and now (at 42) 20/30 and hard to focus. I now have a set of glasses that helps, but they are wanting to put me in bifocals next. Really sucks.

I would like to say thanks for the "IN" sight, but I don't look forward to getting older.

Well getting older is better than the alternative... I know what ya mean though. I was born 9 weeks early and due to the oxygen that I recieved as an infant my eye sight has been a problem my entire life. I am near sighted but without my glasses I cant read the words Im typing on the computer. My eye sight has started to stabalize and I am working on getting laser surgery.

As a semi-relevant side note, in Russia, one is actually required to pass an examination by an eye doctor before they're allowed to own a gun.

...A ton of other restrictions apply as well.

As a semi-relevant side note, in Russia, one is actually required to pass an examination by an eye doctor before they're allowed to own a gun.

...A ton of other restrictions apply as well.

Then again, I bet bribing the clerk for a gun license there costs less than a CHL does here.

Then again, I bet bribing the clerk for a gun license there costs less than a CHL does here.

Oh, you'd think so, but it's more complicated than that! You also have to get a criminal and psychological background check, provide evidence that you have a secure, lockable way to store the gun in your home, you must also be an active member of an officially recognized hunting club if it's a long gun, so that's either a lot of paperwork and hoop-jumping or bribes really add up, and then you may run into the misfortune that somewhere in the process is an honest and ethical person and you'll get declined. In practice, I believe most people do get declined. Handgun ownership isn't allowed at all, except by those who were given one as an award for military service.

But now we're straying from the topic at hand. To bring it all back, I guess, be glad that here the eye doctors can help you see well enough to shoot, rather than deciding whether or not you get that right at all.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top