JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wanted Ad Type
  1. Want to Buy
  2. Want to Trade For
City
Portland
State
Oregon
Hit a rock and have a small crack in my aluminum transmission pan. Let me know please if you are, or know of, an aluminum welder in the Portland area. Thanks!

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
I'm not trying to s#!t in your Wheaties. I would be surprised if you will get it welded, without pulling it and all the internals. The problem becomes how much damage will the welder(current) do to the bearings and other things that don't want to be heated up ,or can't handle the heat. I guess I'm saying, it might not be a simple of a fix as you want. But ask a good welder, if you go that route.

Might just be easier to order a new pan. Try rockauto.com. You may also find one cheaper used on ebay. Since you will likely have to drain the oil and then remove the pan anyway, might as well just replace it. For example, the OEM trans drain pan for my Tahoe is $15 from Rock Auto. YMMV.

It might also be bent. I buy transmission parts from an outfit called Portland Transmission Warehouse on SE Hawthorn and 10th.

Filters, gaskets and all other tranny related parts at discount prices.

Might just be easier to order a new pan. Try rockauto.com. You may also find one cheaper used on ebay. Since you will likely have to drain the oil and then remove the pan anyway, might as well just replace it. For example, the OEM trans drain pan for my Tahoe is $15 from Rock Auto. YMMV.
New pans are a no go for this car I'm finding out unfortunately. I found a "scratched" used one on ebay and when they say scratched who knows it might be as bad as mine.

It might also be bent. I buy transmission parts from an outfit called Portland Transmission Warehouse on SE Hawthorn and 10th.

Filters, gaskets and all other tranny related parts at discount prices.
Good point about possibly being bent. It's not leaking form any of the screws fortunately which might indicate it's bent. But then again the gasket isn't seeing full normal pressure due to the crack. I'll try those guys on Hawthorn tomorrow. Thx!

They might not have a new pan, but they probably know of someone that specializes in repairing them.
I would buy a new gasket though. The bolts are generally lightly torqued down in only a few inch lbs.

A pan, a gasket and a basic tool set will be much easier than welding it......unless the trans pan has a cross member under it.

Drain the fluid.
Use brake cleaner on the outside of the pan.
Take sandpaper and clean around the crack.
Mix up a good amount of JB Weld and apply.
Get new gasket and reinstall after 24 hours.
Add new fluid and call it a day.

I've fixed so much stuff with JB weld that never broke again that I can't even count the times.

Key is to get it clean and rough up the surface to get it to adhere.

Get the black JB weld.

Gonna have to remove the pan and clean it then have someone prep it and tig weld it . It might be cheaper to go to a junk yard and get a replacement.
Local junk yards punch holes in pans. Diff, trans, engine. And yes gas tanks. Makes it really hard to get replacements

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.