JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello friends,

Thank you all so much for your help and input and friendships as I'm venturing in to distance shooting. I finally got my rifle today - Christensen arms mpr 300 win mag. I tried to install my scope today myself (probably bad idea). It is a leupold 5-25-56 mark 5. I'm running mark 4 rings in size 35. I think I got it pretty level however I'm question how I mounted it and it's positioning and distance from the barrel. I can get the sun shade on but the lens cover will not fit. Any advice welcome. Be kind - this is my first try. Should I just take it to sportsman's and have them do it?

88B1888E-7C9A-4142-AB72-DD9C04651181.jpeg

no, dont take it to Sportsmans.
Generally its better to have the scope closest to the barrel but if you want to use that front lens cover then all you need to do is buy the next size taller rings.

You may not have enough clearance. You could possibly get one of the lens caps that thread on the inside of the shade. You could also get higher rings. Or if the flip cover is plastic you could cut/dremel a notch to go around the barrel without touching it. Great looking set up by the way! I love my mark 5 5-25.

Are the rings in the right place or should I have moved them in. Does it matter?
They are fine if that gives you good/natural eye relief. I normally don't place my rings all the way to the end of the rail. But there is nothing wrong with doing so. It just doesn't give you as much adjustment back and forth with the scope (adjusting for eye relief before torquing the rings setting the scope in place. Just make sure the beginning angle of the objective isn't pinched in that front ring, ensuring you have complete contact with the tube of the scope. It's hard to tell from your photo.

Are the rings in the right place or should I have moved them in. Does it matter?
you want the rings as far apart as possible without touching the bell (angled surface) or power ring. I would move your front one back one notch myself, but eye relief dictates where and how far apart you place the rings.

Looks like there is a gap between the barrel and the scope, which is exactly what you want. I always try to get the scope as close to the barrel without touching. As far as ring position, you need to get them in the right place to support the scope and get the proper eye relief. Each person is different in regard to eye relief. As long as your crosshairs in the scope are level with the rifle action you should be good to go.

Looks good to me, as far as the set up goes! For the flip up covers, I wouldn't sweat that too much like others have said, getting the scope as close to the barrel as possible with out touching is a pretty serious achievement, you did well ( got lucky) so as far as the caps are considered, I would Dremel out just enough to clear and run it like it is! You can get screw in caps that fit inside the sun shade or super thin silicon covers that stretch to fit the outside!

There are only two other things that can go really wrong: Tightening properly and sighting in.

The ring manufacturer will probably specify a recommended torque. If you have a friend or neighbor who can lend you a torque wrench that measures in inch pounds that would be handy. I have a Wheeler FAT wrench that I'm very happy with.

When you sight in, and you may well already know this, start at a really close range. Like 25 yards or less. Even if you used a boresight, I've seen some really bad initial settings.

Nice scope!

for the scope cover issue, I recently put a new VX6 on my rifle and it came with their aluma caps that screw onto the scope threads and am really impressed. Those would not need any additional barrel clearance since they thread onto the scopes internal threads and so far I highly recommend them.

for the scope cover issue, I recently put a new VX6 on my rifle and it came with their aluma caps that screw onto the scope threads and am really impressed. Those would not need any additional barrel clearance since they thread onto the scopes internal threads and so far I highly recommend them.
Thank you so much for posting that! I was curious if they are flush or hung over like the cheap ones that came with my scope. I can get the sun shade on so maybe these will work. They are spendy, but I'll try em!

Thank you so much for posting that! I was curious if they are flush or hung over like the cheap ones that came with my scope. I can get the sun shade on so maybe these will work. They are spendy, but I'll try em!
To seal the deal, here they are installed on my hunting rifle. I have a bit more barrel clearance than you but with these caps it doesnt matter you can see it threads on internally, if you look close there is a tab (they put on both sides) that you just push to flip the cap up (the rear cap has a button on the one side only...)
alumacaps_wm.jpg

To seal the deal, here they are installed on my hunting rifle. I have a bit more barrel clearance than you but with these caps it doesnt matter you can see it threads on internally, if you look close there is a tab (they put on both sides) that you just push to flip the cap up (the rear cap has a button on the one side only...)
View attachment 985087
I ordered the front one! Beautiful rifle!

I ordered the front one! Beautiful rifle!
thank you, I inherited it from my late father... my main hunting partner so it has huge sentimental value.

for target shooting these caps should be perfect. My scope is new and hasnt hunted yet and I question if they can be too easily flipped up while carrying in the hunting field, especially when carried by the sling. Ive had it bump open testing. Its held closed by a small magnet in the cap....

thank you, I inherited it from my late father... my main hunting partner so it has huge sentimental value.

for target shooting these caps should be perfect. My scope is new and hasnt hunted yet and I question if they can be too easily flipped up while carrying in the hunting field, especially when carried by the sling. Ive had it bump open testing. Its held closed by a small magnet in the cap....
I had that issue on a different style scope but with the flip up cap. I rotated it so that it opened on the other side. Not as convenient but still very usable.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top