JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So recently I got a 300 win mag and I need scope recommendations I've been looking at primary arms but I don't know what scopes can handle the kick of 300 winmag. My boss says I should buy a more expensive brand scope but I don't quite have the money for one so I want one that will work and is economical. so I can shoot my new rifle and get brass from it to reload. Eventually I want to hunt with it and maybe try some long range shooting but for now I just want something to ring steel and a few hundred yards.

Any modern quality scope will handle 300WM.

What are you shooting at, from how far and in what conditions? Those are the factors that drive scope recommendations. If you have a specific budget, that helps as well.

I'm personally a fan of Trijicon and NIghtforce, but also have a couple Vortex sprinkled in to keep things interesting.

Leupold Mark 5 5x25 is what I have on my 300WM.

Don't skimp on rings and a mount either.

I'd like to stay under 500 dollars and I'd like to go elk hunting in eastern Oregon. Do you have any Experience with vortex vipers? I saw one for a decent price earlier and it looked nice enough. Just didn't know if it would handle the magnum cartridge

Leupold Mark 5 5x25 is what I have on my 300WM.

Don't skimp on rings and a mount either.
That's the literal scope my boss recommended. I may just bite the bullet and save up and get one I just want to shoot sooner then a couple months down the road. Which is approximately how long I'd have to save up lol

That's the literal scope my boss recommended. I may just bite the bullet and save up and get one I just want to shoot sooner then a couple months down the road. Which is approximately how long I'd have to save up lol
If you were in the military they have a great military discount. Finding one in stock through Leupold is the hard part right now.

1FD101F2-29B2-4694-8E81-6B9FD03C163A.jpeg

So recently I got a 300 win mag and I need scope recommendations I've been looking at primary arms but I don't know what scopes can handle the kick of 300 winmag. My boss says I should buy a more expensive brand scope but I don't quite have the money for one so I want one that will work and is economical. so I can shoot my new rifle and get brass from it to reload. Eventually I want to hunt with it and maybe try some long range shooting but for now I just want something to ring steel and a few hundred yards.
Primary Arms is an economical brand thats getting excellent reviews these days. Im not certain which model is their high end but a basic 3x9 hunting scope is pretty affordable and would be a great intro to hunt with.

Ive used a Vortex Viper, it was a good scope but didnt have a good FOV. For hunting you want a scope with the widest FOV you can find, like in the 30ft range (@100) minimum. Vortex has mixed reviews. I know one person whos Vortex broke. Their warranty service has some of the best reviews.

Leupold, I highly recommend. A basic Freedom series 3x9 will be affordable and will last a lifetime. Get one with a CDS dial for longer range shots. The basic Leupolds are worth keeping to trickle down to other rifles as you upgrade.
$299...

If you want to save up buy once cry once get one of the MK series Leupolds with CDS.

leupold freedom is my choice, I recently got one that is 4-12x40 with the CDS system, add a good set of mounts and you are good to go for about $400 total

on amazon for $349.95 free shipping

Last Edited:
I'd like to stay under 500 dollars and I'd like to go elk hunting in eastern Oregon. Do you have any Experience with vortex vipers? I saw one for a decent price earlier and it looked nice enough. Just didn't know if it would handle the magnum cartridge
Most Vortex scopes barely handle UPS/Fedex, let alone being mounted to a rifle. I do have a Viper on my 6.5 Grendel because I needed something and it was $150 on sale. It's OK. There's no electronics, so the chances of having to engage the Vortex warranty gets reduced to 50/50. I wouldn't trust it for a hunt. It will be replaced with a Trijicon if I decide to use the rifle to hunt with.

This is what I have on my Tikka T3 .30-06, which is my game getter: https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-...ecision-Hunter-1-in-Matte-Black-Riflesco.aspx

Best bang for the buck, in my opinion.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads