JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am thinking of going to Graduate school to earn my MBA or a JD. Not sure yet. The question that is bugging me is: Is it worth spending the $70,000+ for a "name" college or is the degree from a local university just as good? Your responses are much appreciated.

BTW, I am aware no matter what, I will need loans, thats a given. :(

I got an MBA from Portland State about 5 years ago. If I were doing it again, I'd go to a "name" school (or at least the U of O). It shouldn't mean a lot, but it does in the real world.

Come to think of it, I'd be tempted to get the J.D. instead.

I got an MBA from Portland State about 5 years ago. If I were doing it again, I'd go to a "name" school (or at least the U of O). It shouldn't mean a lot, but it does in the real world.

I wouldn't be surprised if a 70th percentile showing at the Wharton School or similar sells better in the marketplace than a 5th percentile showing locally.

I've been thinking about getting an MBA. I've heard good things about the Oregon Executive MBA, which is U of O partnering with OSU and PSU. You can get it in two years while working. It's in Portland. I think the program runs about $50k.

I haven't thought seriously about a JD in 20 years.

My sister in law has a MBA from Wharton, with a chemical engineering degree from OSU. You'd flip if you accidentally got her paycheck in the mail...

I think where you get your MBA means more today than it did ten years ago.
Ten years ago, MBA's where rare. Today, much more common.

Certainly don't take offense to my statement if your MBA isn't from a high dollar school. MBA's show a lot of discipline and knowledge regardless of where they came from and it's to bad that society chooses dollars over the same hard work and dedication from someone that doesn't have the pocket book.

Ultimately, your grades are more important the school it came from. I would think most employers want a great performer over a great name.

Of course, if you can get great grades AND a great school, you can write your own ticket.

Come to think of it, I'd be tempted to get the J.D. instead.

Not sure what line of work you are in, but why would you go the JD route instead?

Ultimately, your grades are more important the school it came from. I would think most employers want a great performer over a great name.

Of course, if you can get great grades AND a great school, you can write your own ticket.

Oh, I wasn't aware that employers check grades?? Even though you are right, good grade and good name should be a formula for success.

I have submitted my resume to Cornell, will be sending over trancripts in the near future. Will keep you guys updated to see if my PSU BS is good enough. 3.70 should help too, I hope!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top