JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Neighbor has a 2006 Civic with only 62k on it. It got hit, needs a fender and hood and light and parts underneath. Airbags never went off, runs and drives fine. Insurance is totaling it and giving him $9.5k.

I have the option of buying it from him for whatever the insurance says the salvage value is. Some sites quote as little as 10% of market, so about $1000. He does not care, as long as he gets the $9.5k total. Looks like the fix is mostly bolt on parts, but it will be branded as salvage title. Still, low mileage, one owner, gas sipping car, should not be that big of a deal to flip it. Still, is it worth the hassle for what is probably $2-3k in profit?

Last Edited:
Neighbor has a 2006 Civic with only 62k on it. It got hit, needs a fender and hood and light and parts underneath. Airbags never went off, runs and drives fine. Insurance is totaling it and giving him $9.5k.

I have the option of buying it from him for whatever the insurance says the salvage value is. Some sites quote as little as 10% of market, so about $1000. He does not care, as long as he gets the $9.5k total. Looks like the fix is mostly bolt on parts, but it will be branded as salvage title. Still, low mileage, one owner, gas sipping car, should not be that big of a deal to flip it. Still, is it worth the hassle for what is probably $2-3k in profit?
Have purchased probably around 200ish salvage title cars in wa state. Mostly from salvage auctions. My advice is do not plan on selling the car at normal retail price. Sell the car at normal salvage title price. Research what that is for that car in your area and that will tell you whether it's worth it to you or not. I think the salvage value (the amount the insurance company will ask your friend to pay to be able to keep the car) will be much higher than you are expecting. Also check very closely for frame damage. Everything should look 100% straight. If the top of the fender is bent to the side even a little you will need a frame rack to fix it so that things fit properly. If you were planning on keeping it as your personal car and can live with some weird gaps at the hood etc then that is a whole different ballgame and can be a great value for a driving car if you are willing to live with it being imperfect.

Last Edited:
About 10 years ago we did. Had an old Blazer that the kids all used and was a spare. Loaned it to a family member and it got hit in the back. Bent the back bumper and broke lift gate glass. If I was going to sell it back then I would have let it got for less than 1K. Insurance guy came looked, totaled it. Said he would give us $2300 or 2K and we could keep it. I asked the family member if they wanted it for the $300 and he jumped on it. So everyone was happy. He had to get a salvage title and replace the lift gate glass which he bought from a junkyard. He said it was pretty simple. Just had to take it to the state patrol office to be inspected and pay for the Title. Don't know if its still this easy here now or not.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top