JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Buffed the trigger innards tonight. Wow, what a PITA that is to assemble. Though I could do it again 2nd time around a LOT faster.

Buffed all parts that rub, connect, touch etc. Anywhere there was evidence on the parts of touching. I used my Dremel and a wheel like this (mine was not brass it was a stiff plastic)
dre535.jpg

I really noticed how rough and pitted the metal is at the slide points after I started to polish.

I will say I need to do something now about the spring at the rear of the trigger. That's a little old now. Maybe I'll toss in a spring from a ball point pen. There's still a little slop there in the trigger but I realize now what spring I could replace for a lighter pull.

It gives me something to do.

How much does the extractor really help?

I noticed that a few rounds don't like to be extracted.. maybe 1 out of 50 or so. How much would that alleviate that issue?

If you have an aftermarket barrel you need a better extractor. The aftermarket barrels have tighter chambers causing more resistance on the spent case.

I think the Volquartsen trigger is over rated and over priced. The Kidd is probably the sweetest trigger setup but the cost is insane. The Rimfire Technologies setup (with a torsion return spring) impressed me so much that I had to copy it for my other 10/22s.

If you want to take a 10/22 to the next level it needs to be bedded in the stock with a proper pillar.

How much does the extractor really help?

I noticed that a few rounds don't like to be extracted.. maybe 1 out of 50 or so. How much would that alleviate that issue?

Night and day.. the Ruger piece looks to be stamped steel and has poor grabbing ability. The Volquartsen exact edge is precision milled and very precise. If I could make only one mod to a 10/22 the EE is it

Tonight I decided to work on the "Auto Bolt Release" and that went very well thanks to Rimfirecentral.
http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30867

I may attempt to modify the hammer tomorrow. The trigger is still smooth on the pull after I polished the working parts. I'm just going now for a lighter pull via this:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122386
\

I know I keep updating this thread but it's kind of a 'journal' so to speak so if anyone else comes along this path.
It looks like when I'm finished with the internals, I'll need to actually buy the extended mag release (unless I come across some aluminum and decide to make one since I have the time)

Edit #3.
Modified the hammer on the Ruger. WOW, talk about a difference. I now have a clean break and one that's very light. I shook, beat, pounded, jiggled on the stock to see if I could get it to trip. Nope, I took JUST enough off of the hammer. I'm looking forward to doing some shooting very, very soon. I should be able to increase my accuracy.
Going to be taking these:
http://www.southpondcottages.com/metaleer/10Joe-BLACKa.pdf
out and using them at the 25 yards 9x. Will post results on first tryout, 2nd, 3rd etc.

175202_1602771549762_1250285037_31355019_1910290_o.jpg

Updated the stock to a thumbhole laminated... Looking a lot better now.

Had to install a stud in the front so I could install a permanently mounted Rocky Mount bipod.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top