JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well..

My Ruger 10/22 as it sat a while ago.
SANY1463.JPG

I found a heavy barrel at ABG Buyers yesterday. So today I went and bought it. Clerke International Stainless 16".
Here's what I started with this morning:
SANY1533.JPG

My heavy barrel installed into the receiver:
SANY1534.JPG

I went to modding the original stock that I had because I wanted to keep the swap cost low. I bought a 1" dowel and some sand paper. The bull barrel is .920" so that's very close to the 1" that I had. I was going to make a full floating barrel so there's nothing pressing or touching the barrel. Just cause I can.

My sanding method. Sticky sand paper worked back and forth.
SANY1536.JPG

Partial way through. Looked clean and straight.
SANY1537.JPG

I cut this piece off. There was a gay plastic strap that went on there. With the heavy barrel it won't fit. So it had to go.
SANY1538.JPG
SANY1539.JPG

After many test fits I was finally at a floating barrel. I have about 1/16" space all around the barrel. Doesn't touch. NIIIICE.

While my cousin and I were at Home Depot picking up the dowel and sand paper he suggested painting the stock. I considered a full paint but I didn't want to paint the $80 scope. So I did the stock only. Snow camouflage.

SANY1541.JPG
Turned out good. White background. I sanded the stock down with 240 grit so I could get the sheen from the stain they used off.
SANY1542.JPG
A little grey and black stripes in odd patterns, we were finished.

Here's the action shots all assembled:

SANY1543.JPG
SANY1545.JPG
I an pleased that I took the butt plate off and kept it black. Goes well with the black/silver/white theme right now.

Took it down to Bi-Mart have it bore sighted. I actually had to take it twice. The first time I had an issue with the barrel. Had to take it home and modify the stock some more. Returned and got the sight on.

Now it's ready to go see how it shoots.

Any thoughts? I felt really good about making this. I have a few other things still to do to the gun but overall I'd say it's 90% complete on what I want to do.
Few things still to do. Trigger and extended mag release.

Must admit I was a little nervous when I saw the sawzall in the first getting started pic...

Nice job :s0155:

Believe it or not but I couldn't get the sawzall to work.
I ended up hand cutting that part of the stock off. With the sawzall blade.

Negative. For right now I just did a straight cut, sanded it off. Front is kinda fugly but I'll end up rounding it later on. I'm probably going to repaint it soon so I'll do that before I repaint.

It may be hard with the rail and bipod to have a nice rounded nose.

I have the Clerke fluted stainless on my 10/22s.. with the Butler Creek folder it makes a very compact weapon, folded

The flutes allowed me to only have to file a tiny bit off the front edge of the barrel channel, it was fast and painless

The forward band negatively impacts accuracy, good to get rid of it even with a stock barrel, unless your rifle sees a lot of serious field abuse

So my results.

Today I went and shot.

@ 50 yards I was able to punch 20 rounds through 1/2" square.

Before at 50 yards I did about an 8" circle. (diameter)

Very, VERY VERY impressed with the accuracy.

I just removed my Fajen adjustable stock and did the same thing to my factory one except matched the finish and added sling studs. Complete free float except the 1" closest to the action and it was noticeably better then even the aftermarket stock.

Top.jpg

There's the scan of the target. 1" squares.

That's after 50 rounds getting it set up.
I did 10 rounds, adjust scope, 10 rounds adjust,
This actually would be rounds 30-55. 25 round Butler Creek mag was in when I shot all these holes.

EDIT:
I never mentioned the distance.

This was shot at 50 yards with Peters(Remington) ammo.

I'm still learning about the internals for the trigger setup.

I'm not really sure what all the parts do inside but I'm learning.

I also don't know if my wife would allow me to spend another $250 on internals. I'll have a LOT into this gun by then.

I see these:
https://www.volquartsen.com/products/181-match-hammer-and-sear

I see that it reduces the lbs of the trigger pull but I also need to reduce the slop in the trigger before it breaks.

As stated: I am new to this .22 building.

I'm still learning about the internals for the trigger setup.

I'm not really sure what all the parts do inside but I'm learning.

I also don't know if my wife would allow me to spend another $250 on internals. I'll have a LOT into this gun by then.

I see these:
https://www.volquartsen.com/products/181-match-hammer-and-sear

I see that it reduces the lbs of the trigger pull but I also need to reduce the slop in the trigger before it breaks.

As stated: I am new to this .22 building.

I sell the Volquartsen trigger group for $180 and the Extractor for a little over 10 bucks. I have these on all my personal 10/22s and would never go back to the stock parts! Do a web search, never pay full retail!

My buddy has the Volquartsen trigger group in his 10/22 and after doing a lot of research I found that you get more for your money with a Clark custom guns trigger group. I was able to order everything the "V" kit comes with, an extractor, a DVD that shows how to completely disassemble my 10/22 and two hammer and sear shim kits from Midway for less money. Once assembled its a nicer trigger IMHO.

My buddy has the Volquartsen trigger group in his 10/22 and after doing a lot of research I found that you get more for your money with a Clark custom guns trigger group. I was able to order everything the "V" kit comes with, an extractor, a DVD that shows how to completely disassemble my 10/22 and two hammer and sear shim kits from Midway for less money. Once assembled its a nicer trigger IMHO.

I've never tried the Clark, but the Volquartsen is a drop in machined unit and the trigger pull is about 2.5 lbs

I read on Rimfirecentral that you can polish the parts that rub giving a smoother trigger pull.

I may give that a shot and see how it handles, then work on taking out slack.

I have already modified my HMR's trigger so I'll see how this goes. Time to bust out the Dremel and the polishing wheel.

I guess:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=269423

May be a cheaper alternative.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR