JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wanted a home defense shotgun and had a nice enough older Wingmaster that was restricted to 2.75" shells. So I hunted up a nice 18.5" barrel and a 2rd extension from ATI. Then I found a great deal on a nice late 50's early 60's Wingmaster stock set.

I then advertized on a big shotgun forum I was looking for a beater Corn Cob forend to use as a pattern to turn my own. (a real corn cob is way to spendy) I had noticed that the Corn cobs were just smaller then all dimensions then the std Wingmaster forend. SO I made a mandrel and mounted it up in my lathe and turned out a Corn Cob using a Wingmaster Std forend as the material. A dozen coats of WATCO and it came out pretty good. (the dimensions are so close on the bottom of my finished Corn Cob you can still see a little of the checkering from the WM forend)

The Butt stock was cut down to equal a 12.75" Pull and the Remington Nuke grade poly finish was stripped off (used Kleen Strip paint remover and a single edge razor blade scraper it took five treatments) Then I refit the recoil pad and sanded everything nice and smooth. Another 10-12 coats of WATCO and it matched the forend pretty nice.

I almost destroyed the gun trying to remove the forend nut (twisted the guide rods) Anyway after much cussing and work I got it all lined up pretty good and working again. WOW Lesson learned.

Anyhow heres how it looks now.

870sideview2_zps40a9c354.jpg

870magtubeextension_zps473821c7.jpg

870forenddetail_zpse32faab3.jpg

870buttstockdetail_zps22fc8b2b.jpg

Nice work on the stocks. I kept mine basic like yours at first. Then I added a light, then a shell carrier, then a Tritium bead front sight, then a Vang Comp safety, then sling swivel mounts... All of a sudden my basic home defense shotgun was getting more expensive and heavier with each purchase. Some mods are useful but most are aren't necessary. :)

I like it, now you need a light :)

I'm in the process of figuring out how I want to mount a Coast Products LED flashlight on the side tucked into the cavity between the barrel and mag extension. Its a .600" D X 6" long light that throws a very controled spot beam. I'm just over engineeering it so its taking a while to figure out.

Good work and firm proof that an investment of time and effort can produce something of a far better source of pride than what could have been bought.

All for a gun you pray to God you never, ever use.:s0155: