Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

MY newly assembled 870 Home defense shotgun

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Mark W., Dec 25, 2012.

1. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I wanted a home defense shotgun and had a nice enough older Wingmaster that was restricted to 2.75" shells. So I hunted up a nice 18.5" barrel and a 2rd extension from ATI. Then I found a great deal on a nice late 50's early 60's Wingmaster stock set.

I then advertized on a big shotgun forum I was looking for a beater Corn Cob forend to use as a pattern to turn my own. (a real corn cob is way to spendy) I had noticed that the Corn cobs were just smaller then all dimensions then the std Wingmaster forend. SO I made a mandrel and mounted it up in my lathe and turned out a Corn Cob using a Wingmaster Std forend as the material. A dozen coats of WATCO and it came out pretty good. (the dimensions are so close on the bottom of my finished Corn Cob you can still see a little of the checkering from the WM forend)

The Butt stock was cut down to equal a 12.75" Pull and the Remington Nuke grade poly finish was stripped off (used Kleen Strip paint remover and a single edge razor blade scraper it took five treatments) Then I refit the recoil pad and sanded everything nice and smooth. Another 10-12 coats of WATCO and it matched the forend pretty nice.

I almost destroyed the gun trying to remove the forend nut (twisted the guide rods) Anyway after much cussing and work I got it all lined up pretty good and working again. WOW Lesson learned.

Anyhow heres how it looks now.

870sideview2_zps40a9c354.jpg

870magtubeextension_zps473821c7.jpg

870forenddetail_zpse32faab3.jpg

870buttstockdetail_zps22fc8b2b.jpg

2. notazombie

notazombie Hillsboro->Marsing Well-Known Member

Classy!

3. Nightshade

Nightshade vancouver,WA Well-Known Member

Nice job

4. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Doing that with my 28" pardner with a +5 tube and a brake+choke. Its going to look ridiculous, but I've wanted to do that project for some time.

5. safetyman

safetyman Clark County, WA Active Member

Very nice indeed.

6. hawksfan503

hawksfan503 federal way Member

Nice job I think it is AWESOME!!! Personally I would rather have that than your typical black hd 870.

7. ThemGunsThough

ThemGunsThough RIP City! Well-Known Member

Great job! Thats looks amazing. The wood is so classy and job well done.

8. novamind

novamind Hillsboro Active Member

I like it.

9. TacticalMark

TacticalMark Seattle Member

I like it, now you need a light :)

10. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

Nice work on the stocks. I kept mine basic like yours at first. Then I added a light, then a shell carrier, then a Tritium bead front sight, then a Vang Comp safety, then sling swivel mounts... All of a sudden my basic home defense shotgun was getting more expensive and heavier with each purchase. Some mods are useful but most are aren't necessary. :)

11. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'm in the process of figuring out how I want to mount a Coast Products LED flashlight on the side tucked into the cavity between the barrel and mag extension. Its a .600" D X 6" long light that throws a very controled spot beam. I'm just over engineeering it so its taking a while to figure out.

12. Bookite03

Bookite03 Aumsville, OR Member

Nice work Mark, glad to see it finished up!

13. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Looks very nice! Nothing like walnut to dish out the horizontal buttstroke of justice!

14. Diego

Diego Everett New Member

Great lookin shotty

15. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Wow - that looks great. Just simple and to the point, no junk hanging off it. Nice job!

16. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER Eugene Refugee from the People's Republic of Illinois Gold Supporter

Very nice!

17. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

Good work and firm proof that an investment of time and effort can produce something of a far better source of pride than what could have been bought.

All for a gun you pray to God you never, ever use.:thumbup:

EMP9596 and (deleted member) like this.