JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So after much research and a day with my prepared ladder loads at the range with the chrony, I found my blueberry round. I've been wanting to create a reliable, +P 147 gr JHP that didn't stress out my pistol or flip too much. Providing of course that I have a Ruger P85 (a tank, no doubt) with an increased power recoil spring (16lb versus 11lb stock).
I looked at a lot of loads in books and online, and saw that the most full capacity loads for 9mm 147 gr bullets were with Power Pistol, so I started there. As well, Hornady's new(ish) XTP is boat tailed as well as being a controlled expansion jacketed hollow point (expansion rated at x1.5, FBI minimum standard for JHP expansive rounds). Loads listed went from a minimum 4.7 grain up to 5.7 grain, but typically listed at 5.3 to 5.5 grain as maximum.
I loaded 5 rounds each starting at 4.7, up to 5.7 gr. The round that clocked the fastest without over-pressure signs was the 5.4gr. After that, the 5.6 and 5.7 gr shells were coating in residue and the velocity went sideways, so I know it was no longer a viable round. The 5.4 grouped best, but I will need to do some groups just with this load alone to get a number.
So here's the recipe and data:
Ave. Velocity: 1069.8 fps
Corrected Muzzle velocity: 1073.6
Stnrd Dev: 15.1 fps
Max fps: 1083 fps
Min fps 1045 fps
Stability: 11.21
Ft lbs: 376/muzzle
IPSC Factor: 157
Wootters Lethality: 25

Hornady 9mm .355 BT/HP XTP (35580; BC: 0.212 Velocy range: 750-1200fps)
Mixed NATO once fired brass, standard trim-to length: 0.744"
Alliant Power Pistol Powder, 5.4 gr.
Winchester WSPM (Small Pistol Magnum)
Cartridge OAL: 1.120"
Primer pocket swaged, de-crimped, & flash hole uniformed

Pistol: Ruger P85 Mark II; 1:10 twist; 4.5" barrel

I only had 5 of each load for the test, but will put in at least a full 10 to get a better statistical output in the future.

Happy Happy Happy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top