JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Weird post title aside, I was stripping down my new Colt 1911 to get familiar with it as I do all my new guns and it smelled just like one of those scented pinecone bags you'll find at every grocery and department store during the holidays. Got it all over my hand so now I smell like Christmas, too. Anyway, does anyone know what lube this is? I'm going to guess it's Lucas "extreme gun oil" since the box came with an ad for such suggesting "used and recommended by Colt" but I'd like to know for sure if anyone can tell me.

If your colt has wood grips I would bet it's the wood top coating your smelling... not the gun lube. Especially if it was boxed before the finish was fully cured. No foul there though. It can be fully dry and partially cured without doing any harm. It will just continue to offgas more until it's fully cured.

Might be the lube, but I don't know of any that I would say smells like "christmas".

Blue G10 grips. It's specifically the blued "competition" model. I like the smell, personally and if it IS the lube, I wouldn't mind buying a little more

It might help if you explained what christmas smells like to you...

Bourbon and eggnog? Yellow snow? Reindeer droppings? Santa farts?? Patty's peppermints??

Gotta be a little more specific. :s0155:

I use Lucas extreme, it does not have a festive smell at all.
Weird post title aside, I was stripping down my new Colt 1911 to get familiar with it as I do all my new guns and it smelled just like one of those scented pinecone bags you'll find at every grocery and department store during the holidays. Got it all over my hand so now I smell like Christmas, too. Anyway, does anyone know what lube this is? I'm going to guess it's Lucas "extreme gun oil" since the box came with an ad for such suggesting "used and recommended by Colt" but I'd like to know for sure if anyone can tell me.

Bourbon and eggnog? Yellow snow? Reindeer droppings? Santa farts?? Patty's peppermints??

Christmas smells like an empty wallet to me.

I think you used the wrong lube on your gun mate. The lube that smells like Christmas is for something else.

Last Edited:

Frog lube paste clp has a minty smell. Sorta menthol mint smell.
Definitely not frog lube. Very familiar with that one and never did like my guns smelling like they just rolled off the Colgate assembly line

The "Christmas" smell is that potpourri cinnamon smell the bag of glittery pinecones you find in the tacky decoration section of Walmart this time of year. It's a pretty specific and recognizable scent, at least for me

I don't know about the smell, but those Colt Competition pistols with the blue grips are quite the lookers. I sent my wife a picture of one in 9mm a couple of years back just before Christmas. Astoundingly, there was not one under the tree. For crying out loud, she makes around $20K per year with her parttime job. Shoulda been a no-brainer. :s0092: I'm a big fan of stainless pistols, but the blued version with the blue grips is just a tad more eye-popping for me (although both are spectacular). Got any pics of yours?

I keep my Hoppes #9 in an airtight can because that stuff is always outgassing.
When I open the can, it smells like the potpourri Xmas bags.
Christmas smells like gun lube, burnt powder, and a few, non-gun related adult activities.

1668189588619.png

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads