JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
6 months ago the extractor on my S&W 4013 snapped off. It took me a while to replace it(tools, time and experimentation), but I put a new one on and was good to go. Ran maybe 200 rounds through it and yesterday the new one snapped as well. Same ammo, same break style.

I can understand the 15 year old one breaking off, but why the second? Ammo used is Speer 180gr FMJ and not any cheap crap. The weapon is cleaned regularly and inspected before firing. The main springs were different in the two cases as I did replace it with a factory part, but 100% new.

So is this 'one of those things', or is there something I need to look into.

Extractors need to be fitted properly to permit the shell to push it out of the way as it is moved up the slide face. Also it has to be fitted to be cammed out of the way when the slide is pushed over an already chambered case. It is possible (depending on where the break occurred) that if the extractor wasn't cut right that a case would be pushed in front of it as the slide cycles and then be forced to snap over the rim. If the front edge of the cut isn't right then it could cause the extractor to break at the hook.

Where did the extractor break at?

Another possibility that I ran into with a guy's old Remington model 51 .380 (1920's era) was that it broke off two extractors at the half way point. After a detailed cleaning and function check I found out that the magazine was out of spec and releasing the cartridge prematurely. It would jump out of the magazine and ride in front of the extractor into the chamber. I replaced the extractor and got a new magazine, totally fixed the problem. This may not be the cause of your problem but it's another angle to consider.

Both extractors have snapped off at the same place. I'll see if I kept the first one, but I'm pulling the second one this week and can up some pics of it.

The break is occurring at the 'base' of the hook, where it meets the meat of the body. We have had stovepipes and FTFs with these pistols, but my wife's hasn't snapped an extractor yet and we share the mags. I do an incredibly thorough cleaning after each range trip so I don't think it's grit build up. Going to number the mags in sharpie and run them all during my next trip. That way I can see which ones are the most unreliable.

Stove piping can be caused by a variety of reasons including insufficient powder in the load, a heavier than normal recoil spring and binding of the slide on the frame or magazine along with other reasons. In the FTF, is the slide completely closing and the round not chambering at all or is the round binding during feeding?

Stove piping can be caused by a variety of reasons including insufficient powder in the load, a heavier than normal recoil spring and binding of the slide on the frame or magazine along with other reasons. In the FTF, is the slide completely closing and the round not chambering at all or is the round binding during feeding?

Springs were different, one set original, one set new but of spec weight. Slide has no burrs to hang up on as I polished the channels. No idea about binding at the mag though.

Round is not fully chambering, locking the slide partially open.

Honestly I can deal with an FTF, it's the extractors breaking that really gets me.

Ok, so the round goes in but the slide is not fully locked up. A three point bind is where the base of the case is stuck on the bottom portion of the slide face, the bullet is stuck on the top of the chamber and the case side is stuck on the upper lip of the feed ramp. Is that a description of the FTF? Or is the round IN the chamber and the slide is very slightly unlocked, like the case is IN FRONT of the extractor?

If your case is not getting up behind the extractor when it's chambering the round, then the extractor is forced to snap over the case rim. This is very hard on the extractor.

The 4013 has an external extractor, so it's more forgiving than internal extractors. Externals have a spring that allows that forgiveness should the extractor have to snap over a rim, and will last longer doing it vs. an internal.

But the consistent braking is not normal, am guessing you're getting a bad batch of extractors.

Ok, so the round goes in but the slide is not fully locked up. A three point bind is where the base of the case is stuck on the bottom portion of the slide face, the bullet is stuck on the top of the chamber and the case side is stuck on the upper lip of the feed ramp. Is that a description of the FTF? Or is the round IN the chamber and the slide is very slightly unlocked, like the case is IN FRONT of the extractor?

If your case is not getting up behind the extractor when it's chambering the round, then the extractor is forced to snap over the case rim. This is very hard on the extractor.

That right there seems to fit the conditions we're having with our weapons. My wife and I both have the same pistol, but she has half as many rounds through hers as mine does.

Years ago, I had a 1911 that broke the extractor when I fed it some hot ammo. Seems the violent recoil broke off the tip. A new titanium piece fixed that up quick. Try using non-violent ammo.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top