JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,
I got a pawn shop special without any manuals. I was able to find a blown apart picture online but I am stumped at removing the long life spring style extractor. Does anyone have a manual handy and willing to take pictures? I'm resisting the urge to impulse buy by trying to get my current project guns working

So this isn't going to be easy to explain, and unless you have a VERY compelling reason to remove it I wouldn't. I'll presume you have field-stripped the pistol and have the slide in hand. For reference I just spent twenty minutes figuring out how to get it out my 28DA.
First locate the small pin in the center of the RH safety lever. It is a detent.
Push it in and slide the RH safety lever straight up, off the safety.
Remove the detent and spring.
Rotate the LH safety lever to the halfway position between Safe and Fire. It doesn't want to stay there!!
Once in position you can wiggle the safety lever out to the left. Careful!! There is a detent and spring inside the back of the extractor that will jump out and send you on a quest!! Remove the detent and spring. It is different than the RH safety lever detent and spring, keep track of which is which.
Now the fun part; having an extra pair of reliable hands will help A LOT!! I used a large screwdriver in the ejection port to pry the extractor out a little bit. Just enough to get a very small screwdriver between the extractor and the slide. Here is where you can ruin your day. Too much prying and you'll bend/break the extractor!! Too little and the tip won't clear the slide!!
Now take a punch and drive the extractor rearward. It only has to move a little bit and it will pop out.
Reverse procedure to reinstall.
Good luck!!
Picture #1; RH safety lever removed.
Picture #2; Extractor, showing locking area towards the back.
Picture #3; Hole in extractor for safety detent.
Picture #4; Slot in slide where extractor locks in.
20220322_221625.jpg 20220322_221550.jpg 20220322_221657.jpg 20220322_221601.jpg

So this isn't going to be easy to explain, and unless you have a VERY compelling reason to remove it I wouldn't. I'll presume you have field-stripped the pistol and have the slide in hand. For reference I just spent twenty minutes figuring out how to get it out my 28DA.
First locate the small pin in the center of the RH safety lever. It is a detent.
Rotate the LH safety lever to the halfway position between Safe and Fire. It doesn't want to stay there!!
Once in position you can wiggle the safety lever out to the left. Careful!! There is a detent and spring inside the back of the extractor that will jump out and send you on a quest!! Remove the detent and spring. It is different than the RH safety lever detent and spring, keep track of which is which.
Now the fun part; having an extra pair of reliable hands will help A LOT!! I used a large screwdriver in the ejection port to pry the extractor out a little bit. Just enough to get a very small screwdriver between the extractor and the slide. Here is where you can ruin your day. Too much prying and you'll bend/break the extractor!!
Now take a punch and drive the extractor rearward. It only has to move a little bit and it will pop out. It is in a T slot in the slide.

Now the fun part; having an extra pair of reliable hands will help A LOT!! I used a large screwdriver in the ejection port to pry the extractor out a little bit. Just enough to get a very small screwdriver between the extractor and the slide. Here is where you can ruin your day. Too much prying and you'll bend/break the extractor!! Too little and the tip won't clear the slide!!
Now take a punch and drive the extractor rearward. It only has to move a little bit and it will pop out.
Reverse procedure to reinstall.
Good luck!!
Picture #1; RH safety lever removed.
Picture #2; Extractor, showing locking area towards the back.
Picture #3; Hole in extractor for safety detent.
Picture #4; Slot in slide where extractor locks in.
View attachment 1161157View attachment 1161155View attachment 1161158View attachment 1161156
Lilhigbee,

You are a life saver! The problem with the gun not extracting is why it need to be looked at. I've figured out how to full strip the entire slide except the extractor. Does your gun run well? I love how smooth the slide is to rack but a gun is only good if it is reliable.

You're welcome!!
I love my Stars!! I haven't shot the 28 much, but never had any problems with it. Carried a 31P for a long time. Wore out the extractor and had to make a new one. it is a simpler design than the 28. I carry an UltraStar these days. As reliable as the sunrise.
Star could never make up their minds about mag safeties. Some models have them, some don't. I don't think it is difficult to defeat it. I have a 31P that has had the mag safety removed, but I got it that way so don't know what is involved.
If you don't mind my asking, what is the pawnshop price for a 28??

It was $240 a few years ago. I also have a 31p in 40s&w and that has extracting issues as well. I think the issue with the 31p is it's extractor spring. I ordered one online only to find the spring ID was too small for the extractor nub to fit in. A friend of mine has ultra stars in 45 and 40. They really are overbuilt and I think they are neat. You can tell that star didn't think the leaf spring was the best option since they changed it on the later model 28s.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top