JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A couple years ago I got it in my head to try doing some standup comedy. I put together some jokes and practiced for a few weeks to my dogs on our morning walks. They loved it.

I eventually felt confident enough to give it a shot at a local Open Mic show. Here is the video:

It was fun to try. I gave it a few more attempts, but I soon discovered I don't like staying up that late, and it's hard being full of energy a half-hour past my bedtime. These days, I prefer to entertain my wife, who usually just rolls her eyes. Talk about a tough crowd!

Nice job Sig! You had an actual routine and a nice pace.

I just told a few jokes when a buddy and I tried amateur Tuesday night at the Comedy Store in La Jolla back in 1983. We each got a few yuks, but the pain of anxiety in my chest was excruciating, keenly unpleasant, and I never did it again.

My pal Mike went back every week and eventually started going on before 11pm (#15-20 is big stuff in a lineup of 30+ nobodies). I think he moved to LA to pursue it. Never heard of him again. Tough life that...

I have a friend who does the NW comedy tour, his name is Rico Starr (stage name) hes been on Wheel of Fortune, does comedy at local venues from the Oregon Coast to Portland/Seattle and out toward Spokane. We worked together before he started doing comedy full time, we would take lunch and I would make jokes for him to try out. When I really got him laughing he would write it down and work it I to his routine. went and saw him live a few times, it was cool to hear my jokes in a live set, and people actually laughed! I never tried it but seriously considered it for about ten minutes. Takes balls to be a funny man. Good try...

I'm too lazy to do stand up comedy ... But if a chair is handy that's another story. :)
Funny video sigmadog , thanks for posting!
Andy
I remember a guy who always did his act from a chair.

I applaud you for having the guts to do that. And frankly, for your first time up I would definitely say you killed!

I applaud you for having the guts to do that. And frankly, for your first time up I would definitely say you killed!

I had a few friends there to watch and heckle me if I bombed. After my set, one of my friends looked disappointed. The Missus asked him what was wrong and he said, "Dang! I wanted to heckle, but he was too good!"

Frankly, it was the best set of my brief career. Some of my later jokes were actually funnier, but I never quite captured the energy and confidence of that first performance. Weird.

Frankly, it was the best set of my brief career. Some of my later jokes were actually funnier, but I never quite captured the energy and confidence of that first performance. Weird.

Interesting how that works. In previous jobs I facilitated 2-3 day training presentations for groups of 10-100. Of course, I remembered things that caused laughter/applause and used them again, only to see some of them fall flat - crickets chirping. And invariably something else (maybe unintended) took on a life of its own. I've always been curious about that.

I really liked your vid. You're a lot funnier than many of the "pros" out there.

Oh damn that was good.

You remind me of myself a lot in your presentation.

Well done.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top