JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I like to pop 40-50 rounds in a single range session, so summer heat becomes a problem when it comes to barrel overheating. I ordered a cooling device from Amazon and paid for it almost $100. However, this device was cheaply made, it did not cool well (airflow was too weak) and it disintegrated after 3 sessions. Then I found my own solution that works great. I took an electric inflatable mattress pump and connected it with a tape to a receiver tube. This solution works great and cost about $30 (1/3 of price of those poorly made cooling devices sold on Amazon). I am posting this to help those who are considering buying a barrel cooling fan. You can easily make one using a cheap battery-powered inflatable mattress pump (refer to my picture). I am sure some already made a similar barrel-cooling device.

Cheers to Beers,

Dan

image_6487327-11.JPG

I'm sure everyone else on the range is thrilled to hear the high pitch whine of that while they are trying to shoot.

I'm sure everyone else on the range is thrilled to hear the high pitch whine of that while they are trying to shoot.
As long as it's while the range is cold it's no big deal. Most people don't use coolers during active shooting/hot range.

Most coolers don't sound like a cheap vacuum cleaner either. :D

Allow me to suggest something like this. I have this exact one and it works great for blowing dust and sand out of my RC trucks. I have a bunch of Makita tools and batteries so this was a no brainer at the time. But on low it will last for a really long time and the same blower can be had with a built in rechargeable battery. On low it is noticeably less loud than airbed pumps. Looks like its unavailable but there are some really well reviewed ones as well.

I like to pop 40-50 rounds in a single range session, so summer heat becomes a problem when it comes to barrel overheating. I ordered a cooling device from Amazon and paid for it almost $100. However, this device was cheaply made, it did not cool well (airflow was too weak) and it disintegrated after 3 sessions. Then I found my own solution that works great. I took an electric inflatable mattress pump and connected it with a tape to a receiver tube. This solution works great and cost about $30 (1/3 of price of those poorly made cooling devices sold on Amazon). I am posting this to help those who are considering buying a barrel cooling fan. You can easily make one using a cheap battery-powered inflatable mattress pump (refer to my picture). I am sure some already made a similar barrel-cooling device.

Cheers to Beers,

Dan

View attachment 1478625
A few years ago I tried a commercial version of something like this. I found it changed the point of impact for a short time after use. This was a firearm with a very thin barrel. Did you have any problems like that?

Cheers to Beers,

Dan

View attachment 1478625
Oh boy…. the ATF is gonna be all over this and "regulate" it as it will increase the rate of fire capability potential!!

:rolleyes::D

A few years ago I tried a commercial version of something like this. I found it changed the point of impact for a short time after use. This was a firearm with a very thin barrel. Did you have any problems like that?
That is something I was concerned about before starting using this cooler. However, I had no problem with change of impact and my last groups of the day are as tight as the first ones. Keep in mind that my Tikka tac A1 (rifle in the picture) has a heavy Krieger barrel and it is 308 Win.

The pump noise is not an issue on my range. Our range (Interlake Sporting Association in Kirkland) is a private club and most of the time I am alone or with just another person at the rifle range.

Here is a pic of my target (3 shots x 15 groups @ 200 yards w/ Tikka Tac A1 - 308 Win Krieger heavy barrel). I was cooling the barrel for 10 minutes every 3 groups. I never cool the barrel completely. I cool it enough to be warm, but not hot.

Target#1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads