JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wanted to show a quick video of shooting the xd. Mod2 .45 acp. I hear a lot about muzzle flip in compacts especially in .45s or high bore pistols. The pistol has been very reliable and more accurate than I would expect from a 3.3" barrel. Has high vis sights ,all steel guide rod and easy to field strip. With a 10 round capacity w the short mag and 14 with the full size magazine and grip extension in an easy, for me ,to carry package. I don't feel I'm lacking firepower as much as practice. Please excuse the poor shooting. Many cups of coffee and feeling puny. Was really just trying a new grip extension. Not that it really needs it. And a first video post. So does the muzzle flip and recoil seem excessive ?

1010076(0).jpg 1010082.jpg 1010080.jpg 1010078.jpg

I have had a few short barreled relatively powerful handguns.

They do tend to exhibit muzzle blast and muzzle rise.

What I tried, on a larger gun (Glock 21), was a "hybrid comp porting" and it worked IMO and that of others who tried it. For a while I had two identical G21 pistols, one with the porting and one without. I let a number of people try them with the same ammo at the same time, even went so far as to have them shoot with their eyes closed (downrange).

They could tell the difference.

hybridnortop.jpg
GP35CTM0.jpg
7838586274_c468ae5e59.jpg

I have owned 3 full size Government 1911s ,down to two, with steel frames and really don't think the recoil or muzzle rise is that much less than with this subcompact. It's a pleasant shooting pistol too me.

Just wanted to show a quick video of shooting the xd. Mod2 .45 acp. I hear a lot about muzzle flip in compacts especially in .45s or high bore pistols. The pistol has been very reliable and more accurate than I would expect from a 3.3" barrel. Has high vis sights ,all steel guide rod and easy to field strip. With a 10 round capacity w the short mag and 14 with the full size magazine and grip extension in an easy, for me ,to carry package. I don't feel I'm lacking firepower as much as practice. Please excuse the poor shooting. Many cups of coffee and feeling puny. Was really just trying a new grip extension. Not that it really needs it. And a first video post. So does the muzzle flip and recoil seem excessive ?

View attachment 329364 View attachment 329365 View attachment 329363 View attachment 329362
Looks fine to me. I have a 3.8" XDM 45. Good Guns.

I have had a few short barreled relatively powerful handguns.

They do tend to exhibit muzzle blast and muzzle rise.

What I tried, on a larger gun (Glock 21), was a "hybrid comp porting" and it worked IMO and that of others who tried it. For a while I had two identical G21 pistols, one with the porting and one without. I let a number of people try them with the same ammo at the same time, even went so far as to have them shoot with their eyes closed (downrange).

They could tell the difference.

View attachment 329656
View attachment 329657
View attachment 329658

I remember shooting the original prototypes on model 66 357 back in 89/90.

Will the shoe man.... LOL
Mike Martolin. ... master class uspsa and Gun Smith
Kevin Mcintyre. ... KKM precision RIP

We're all my old shooting buddies in Reno/Carson City , that system WORKS!
And is the LOUDEST compensator ever made!

And is the LOUDEST compensator ever made!

Yes - forgot to mention - it does make the gun louder.

First time I shot it, was back when I had just bought it and it is a first gen Glock - so before the 10mm - and people came over at the range and asked what it was that I was shooting.

There is also some flame out the ports, but I didn't notice it, not even at night - at least no more than the flash from the muzzle and at least not when I was concentrating on the target. If you are holding the gun out and looking at the gun looking for the flash, you will notice it, or if someone else is shooting it and you are looking at it from the side.

In general you want to use low flash powder ammo for self-defense anyway.

Also, you never want to put your hand above those ports. But I cannot think of very many scenarios where that is going to happen.

View attachment 329364 View attachment 329365 View attachment 329363 View attachment 329362

Excessive? To me no. Damn nice looking pistol. I tend to have a lot of bias though with anything in .45.:D
To me it may make a slight difference in time to get a second shot in. I just tell people when the first one is a .45 the second one can take a split second longer. Since the first one was a .45 after all. :cool:

very first video the first thing i noticed was your grip. i may be wrong because its hard to tell but, it seems like you are cupping your right hand instead of having proper grip. you should have equal pressure left to right, right to left forward to back and back to front. from what i noticed it seems like you would be unable to accomplish that with how you are gripping your gun.

also your thumbs are down. i like to see thumbs forward. right thumb ontop of left pointed forward under the slide.

very first video the first thing i noticed was your grip. i may be wrong because its hard to tell but, it seems like you are cupping your right hand instead of having proper grip. you should have equal pressure left to right, right to left forward to back and back to front. from what i noticed it seems like you would be unable to accomplish that with how you are gripping your gun.

also your thumbs are down. i like to see thumbs forward. right thumb ontop of left pointed forward under the slide.
F
With my thumbs forward the left ends up in the trigger guard. Not sure what you mean about cupping the grip. But most the grip is w the right. The lefts along for the ride. The left is still sore from recent carpal tunnel surgery. The shooting is like hand therapy. Apriciate the info.

Last Edited:
the (offhand)left hand IMOis very important for recoil/muzzle flip/follow up shots. instead of it just being there "for the ride" i prefer it to be putting equal pressure left to right and front to back with your shooting hand.i like to have both of my thumbs (right ontop of left) pointed down range at the target.

BTW: speedy recovery on the hand. i sense carpal tunnel surgery in my near future:(

It looked comparable to how mine shoots. I actually feel that my XDs 3.3 .45 is very controllable, one of my favorite carry guns.

Being a life long aficionado of the 45 acp everything you recorded looks to be within the normal boundaries of the round. Nice shooting btw. Those l'il 45s do buck a little and it takes a short time to get back on target in my experience. The bad news? Now I will be researching your firearm for a future purchase. Aarrgghh! So many pistols so little money. Pops

It looked comparable to how mine shoots. I actually feel that my XDs 3.3 .45 is very controllable, one of my favorite carry guns.
Have to agree with the XDs being very controllable for being a .45... Think Springfield has nailed these very compact pistols in regards to recoil control, accuracy and some great sights out of the box.

As for the XD Mod. 2 and muzzle flip, looks to be controllable, certainly not excessive... Now you've got me thinking about a Mod. 2....

It is what it is and no amount of fish-eye analysis will tell if it flips too much for you.

It's more or less to dispell the mith of a short barreled .45 being difficult to handle. At least in this model. May get someone to try one that thouht recoil or muzzle rise is excessive in a subcompact pistol. I would call it a compact myself.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top