JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I seem to be getting conflicting information. For a self-timed muzzle brake, use anti-seize on threads or not? In case it makes a difference, the brake is titanium and the muzzle is stainless steel. Hopefully there are gun-wise gurus here on NWFA who can set the record straight on this question. Also, if the recommendation is to use anti-seize, a recommended brand/type would be helpful. Thanks!

I've never used anti-seize on any of my muzzle devices. I ensure the threads are clean and torque them to the barrel threads.

I seem to be getting conflicting information. For a self-timed muzzle brake, use anti-seize on threads or not? In case it makes a difference, the brake is titanium and the muzzle is stainless steel. Hopefully there are gun-wise gurus here on NWFA who can set the record straight on this question. Also, if the recommendation is to use anti-seize, a recommended brand/type would be helpful. Thanks!
I would ask the brake manufacturer.
Sounds like there is concern with galvanic corrosion between the dissimilar metals.
I don't have any titanium to stainless connections to verify.

Unfortunately, posing this question to the manufacturer has, so far, not elicited an answer, thus still hoping to get some quality input from the NWFA brain trust. I honestly thought it would be one of those rather embarrassing questions, that everybody and their sister would have the "obvious" answer and shame on me for being so "ignorant," but now I'm not so sure...

Excellent suggestion msgriff! Thank you. Unfortunately, I don't currently have Permatex 77134. I have some Permatex 81343 (Amazon: www.amazon.com/Permatex-81343-12PK-Anti-Seize-Lubricant-Tube/dp/B000XD9WUI) and ParkTool ASC-1 (Amazon: www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-ASC-1-Anti-Seize-Compound/dp/B000QSUW9A). Looks like I'll need to order the 77134.

So just to be clear, am I inferring correctly that you DO recommend anti-seize be applied to muzzle brake threads?

Excellent suggestion msgriff! Thank you. Unfortunately, I don't currently have Permatex 77134. I have some Permatex 81343 (Amazon: www.amazon.com/Permatex-81343-12PK-Anti-Seize-Lubricant-Tube/dp/B000XD9WUI) and ParkTool ASC-1 (Amazon: www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-ASC-1-Anti-Seize-Compound/dp/B000QSUW9A). Looks like I'll need to order the 77134.

So just to be clear, am I inferring correctly that you DO recommend anti-seize be applied to muzzle brake threads?
I do use anti-seize on dissimilar metals and metals that cold fuse like SS to SS. I stay away from the graphites, but that's mostly for steel to aluminum issues with barrel nuts and is subject to opinions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top