JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Some of my friends and I have been talking about forming a 'Mutual Aid Group'.

If/when desperate times come, I believe we are all going to need each other more often, and in more direct ways, than we currently do.

I would like to hear your thoughts about this subject.

What would each neighborhood, or group, need in order to live through truly difficult days? (Societal collapse, war, prolonged famine...)

A few do-bads will occasionally say something like "I'll just shoot you and take your stuff." That is not even on the table, as far as I'm concerned.

The only way our group would be involved with thieves and marauders would be to shoot them.

I'm interested in hearing ideas from good, decent, hardworking people.

I've read the 'One Second After' trilogy. But I'm wondering if there are non-fiction books on this subject.

Our family/group of friends have talked about this. Where would be a good rally point. Basic stuff like supplies, camping gear.

That's about it, though.

Folks who are :
Flexible in mindset...
Willing to work with others...
Able to let others "do their thing"...and not push their outlook / beliefs / desires etc on others...
In short folks who respect one another are needed.

Common interests and ideas / beliefs are needed for sure...but a underlying layer of respect for others is needed....
Or your group will splinter apart.

What material items are needed...?
The same as always....food , water , shelter...as well as the means , ability and willingness to defend them.
Andy

Edit to add :
The willingness to get along without all the "must have" items...or perceived needed items.
Survival ain't always the same as living...but one will be surprised at what one can survive on.

Last Edited:
"Survival ain't always the same as living...but one will be surprised at what one can survive on."

Very true, Andy.

I think my grandparents in Arkansas had a very rich life, although they were "dirt poor". It would take us Modern Folks some time to adjust, but we could lead very good lives if the conveniences we rely on suddenly disappeared. But it would be quite an adjustment!

I don't see much downside to this. Hopefully you will never need to get the tribe together.

I would make sure you have a CLEAR understanding of who the tribe is going to be. Like will Bob be bringing his daughter's douche-bun wearing, soy-boy, totally useless millennial beta-male boyfriend? You want to understand who the liabilities will be and how many you're signing up to protect. Recognize that what you agree to and who actually shows up will likely be different. And where exactly will the food be coming from to feed the liabilities?

Remember the number one rule about Fight Club. Tribal members should not advertise the formation of the tribe. But somebody will talk. They always do.

Good luck! And may the odds be ever in your favor!

As long as you don't mind the labels (even if you're NOT or they falsely accuse you of being).....

A Militia Group
Right Wing Extremist
Right Wing Nationalist
Racist Hate Group
Etc..... etc......

Not to mention........
IF.......even one member should speak to the media or get a bit "stupid/distasteful" with their words, conduct/actions, thoughts, etc.....

And, speaking of which......
A Prosecutor could just decide that you're all to be, "Brought to Justice". Because, you were a part of a Group Conspiracy.

Whatever.

Aloha, Mark

"You want to understand who the liabilities will be and how many you're signing up to protect. Recognize that what you agree to and who actually shows up will likely be different."

I agree. And there would probably be some very difficult decisions that would have to be made.

There's only so much room in a lifeboat. Who gets in? Who gets booted out?

"A Prosecutor could just decide that you're all to be, "Brought to Justice". Because, you were a part of a Group Conspiracy."

It would be surprising if that kind of thing didn't happen.

Especially if food becomes scarce. In that case, the goon squad might come to your door as a representative of "the government". It's happened before.

There was a fellow named Selco Begovic who started an online SHTF survival school. Claims to be a survivor of the siege of Sarajevo, as I recall. He has written several resources on the topic. One of the topics covered in his course is how to select the members of such a mutual aid group. Back in the day, it used to cost $30 for lifetime access to his course materials. Looks the the price may have gone up. I can't vouch for any of his stuff, but perhaps you will find something valuable in his materials. I would bet that someone on this site has studied his stuff and can offer an opinion.

There was a fellow named Selco Begovic who started an online SHTF survival school. Claims to be a survivor of the siege of Sarajevo, as I recall. He has written several resources on the topic. One of the topics covered in his course is how to select the members of such a mutual aid group. Back in the day, it used to cost $30 for lifetime access to his course materials. Looks the the price may have gone up. I can't vouch for any of his stuff, but perhaps you will find something valuable in his materials. I would bet that someone on this site has studied his stuff and can offer an opinion.

Thanks. I've heard about Mr. Selco, but haven't read his stuff yet. I'll have a look.

Some of my friends and I have been talking about forming a 'Mutual Aid Group'.

If/when desperate times come, I believe we are all going to need each other more often, and in more direct ways, than we currently do.

I would like to hear your thoughts about this subject.

What would each neighborhood, or group, need in order to live through truly difficult days? (Societal collapse, war, prolonged famine...)

A few do-bads will occasionally say something like "I'll just shoot you and take your stuff." That is not even on the table, as far as I'm concerned.

The only way our group would be involved with thieves and marauders would be to shoot them.

I'm interested in hearing ideas from good, decent, hardworking people.

I've read the 'One Second After' trilogy. But I'm wondering if there are non-fiction books on this subject.
Did you guys end up doing this? I've been looking for a group here for about a year now. Was going to start my own but then realized I don't have any friends because I voted trump in the last election and live in Seattle.

Did you guys end up doing this? I've been looking for a group here for about a year now. Was going to start my own but then realized I don't have any friends because I voted trump in the last election and live in Seattle.
We don't have an organized group put together yet - just a few like-minded friends. One friend left Oregon a couple of years ago, and another has recently decided to leave. So our numbers are shrinking.

Trump Derangement Syndrome is no joke. I've been completely ostracized from some family members. Oh, well.

As I get older, I'm much less trusting of my fellow man. I expect a lot of us feel this way.

A gun club might be a good place for you to connect with people.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top