JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, the process is simple and efficient. I don't understand why Multnomah County is doing what they are doing-unless the real
purpose is to discourage people from obtaining CHLs.

I believe it is also a matter that they are one of the only counties that take WA residents applications as well. So not only is the most populated county in the state CHL office run by 2 people, but they also take out of state applications. So stupid. In Ohio I had my CCW 3 weeks from the time of submitting my application....

How long does the class room certificate last? I am in no hurry to apply for the CHL permit at the Sheriffs office.

It does not expire. I know because I asked that same question before I had my appointment. I had taken the course about 2 years prior to actually applying for the CHL, and it was no problem at all. This was Marion County 4 years ago, and I had to wait 6-8 weeks for my appointment back then, IIRC.

If you forget to renew your CHL, it takes over 30 days to receive the replacement card and they also confiscate your expired card, so you can't carry until the new replacement card shows up in the mail.

If you forget to renew your CHL, it takes over 30 days to receive the replacement card and they also confiscate your expired card, so you can't carry until the new replacement card shows up in the mail.
My understanding is you shouldn't be carrying with an expired permit anyway so confiscating the expired permit is a non issue.

Multnomah County used to send you a renewal reminder in the mail.
They stopped doing that over a year ago.
It's real easy to miss the expiration deadline and a lot of folks were caught unawares.

:s0133:
They will give you a receipt for the renewal and its good until you get your new card. At least that is the way it works here.

Be careful on that one. I just did a transfer/renewal yesterday on my expired permit. The CHL unit for multnoma county specifically says the receipt you receive in the interim of getting your new permit in the mail is NOT proof of permit to carry, and you must wait until you get your new permit in the mail or you will be in violation of you were to continue to conceal carry. I assume this only applies to those of us that had expired permits. If I'm not mistaken, I think it even states this on the receipt. I'll check mine when I get home today. Stay safe, stay legal.

:confused::confused:
Be careful on that one. I just did a transfer/renewal yesterday on my expired permit. The CHL unit for multnoma county specifically says the receipt you receive in the interim of getting your new permit in the mail is NOT proof of permit to carry, and you must wait until you get your new permit in the mail or you will be in violation of you were to continue to conceal carry. I assume this only applies to those of us that had expired permits. If I'm not mistaken, I think it even states this on the receipt. I'll check mine when I get home today. Stay safe, stay legal.
You might be right on "expired~~ don't know. They did take my current permit and gave me the receipt to use until I received the card. Maybe it varies county to county. If your checked with the receipt it would show your current.

:confused::confused:
You might be right on "expired~~ don't know. They did take my current permit and gave me the receipt to use until I received the card. Maybe it varies county to county. If your checked with the receipt it would show your current.

Multnomah County.

Yes. The receipt you get when you hand them the money for the new card is you temporary permit to carry. Wifey is on the 25th day of the wait and her old CCP expired on the first. Nobody "Confiscated" her permit

Multnomah County.

Yes. The receipt you get when you hand them the money for the new card is you temporary permit to carry. Wifey is on the 25th day of the wait and her old CCP expired on the first. Nobody "Confiscated" her permit
Yes they have I believe 45 days to get it issued

A few weeks ago I applied to get my CHL in Multnomah County, and received a letter today that my appointment is on 7/17/2013! That is over 3 months from now! Has anyone else had to wait this long for a CHL?
[01/10/2019] Today I renewed my Multnomah County Oregon CC license and was told it might be as much as a month before I get my new card! That is not what puts a burr in my saddle today though. I also was told I cannot conceal carry until new card is in my possession! Now, I don't remember that ever happening on any of my other renewals. As I recall, your receipt was also your temporary permit permit if renewing and no info has changed?The complexity of the form and long wait time reminds me more of a background check to buy a firearm, not a cc renewal!! Did state of Oregon liberals pass more restrictive requirements for even getting a renewal???? If so, I am REALLY pissed!! Just one more turn on the torture thumbscrew provided by our anti-gun state legislative reps! I'm 71 years young right now and can certainly remember a time when gun owners in Oregon were left pretty much alone, no attacks. Out in rural Oregon back when I owned my first 22lr at age 12, I was able to buy a pack of shells at my local country grocery store for 50 cents, no questions asked!! To revolt against such gradually increasing government restrictions is to be labeled a criminal or worse, maybe even a terrorist? I wouldn't be surprised considering some Christians in our USA have been labeled terrorists for nothing more than their choice of faith but not those of middle-eastern faith! I suspect they are the ones spreading this falsehood and liberals seem to be only too happy to repeat the mantra! It's called deference and they are good at it! Thank you for reading my rant. I feel a little better exercising what little 1st amendment rights I have left!

Yes, the process is simple and efficient. I don't understand why Multnomah County is doing what they are doing-unless the real
purpose is to discourage people from obtaining CHLs.
I think the same and believe you hit the nail on the head!!! Anything to discourage gun owners! 2nd amendment doesn't say anything about curtailing gun rights, in this case how we choose to carry!

[01/10/2019] I also was told I cannot conceal carry until new card is in my possession!
I renewed my Oregon CHL through the Multnomah Co sheriff office (MCSO) and received my receipt which is valid for 45 days. Here is what the stamp on my receipt says: "This stamp grants a 45 day temporary MCSO Concealed Handgun License. You are allowed to carry your weapon concealed with this receipt until you have received your actual card which could take up to 45 days unless you are notified that you were denied or revoked." I don't know who told you that you could not conceal carry until your new card is in your possession. That does not match the wording on the receipt. Check your receipt...BTW, I have renewed my Oregon CHL several times over the years and it has always gone smoothly with no hitches. I am a Washington state resident.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top