JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When there is a high demand for permits, the wait gets longer. There is a high demand right now.

I got my permit about ten years ago. The wait was long but not as bad as yours.

I went threw a CHL Handgun Safety Class last month and they said the same thing. The wait for Multnomah county is July-ish but Clackamas county would only be a few weeks. Figures.

How long does the class room certificate last? I am in no hurry to apply for the CHL permit at the Sheriffs office.

There is a law that they must give you a permit within 45 days of your meeting with the sheriff, unfortunately my meeting with the sheriff isn't until July. So it could be 5 months to get my permit... this is bologna.

I had my appointment last month. probably a 8 week lead time. They told me it would be another 5 to 6 weeks for permit.

I went a little early and saw how they ran the place. There was one other guy. We had both shown up 15 min early and went right in. No one else waiting. When I left, there was no one waiting. It was a two person operation. I can't beleive they have it optomized for efficency.

I had my appointment last month. probably a 8 week lead time. They told me it would be another 5 to 6 weeks for permit.

I went a little early and saw how they ran the place. There was one other guy. We had both shown up 15 min early and went right in. No one else waiting. When I left, there was no one waiting. It was a two person operation. I can't beleive they have it optomized for efficency.

Is there some way I can go to the Clackamas office short of just moving there?

When the wife and I turned in our apps while taking the class back in mid February, the deputy teaching the class said they went from about 200-300 apps a month to about 900 in January and I am guessing they have since hit the 1000 mark. Ours is set for end of May so it was set for at least 3 months out as well. As long as they give me one being an out of state resident, I am fine with waiting.

This sort of feels like it shouldn't be legal to make people wait a potential 5 months for a CCW.

My thoughts exactly, i actually started this same type of thread a month ago with the same lead time as you. How can they do this to us citizens, and from my reading of the law it says nothing about meeting with the sheriff being the start of the 45 days, yet it is 45 from you filing the paperwork. Now i could be mistaken but everywhere i have read the law that is what i saw.

166.292 Procedure for issuing; form of license; duration. (1) If the application for the license is approved, the sheriff shall issue and mail or otherwise deliver to the applicant at the address shown on the application, within 45 days of the application, a wallet sized license bearing the photograph of the licensee. The license must be signed by the licensee and carried whenever the licensee carries a concealed handgun.

(2) Failure of a person who carries a concealed handgun also to carry a concealed handgun license is prima facie evidence that the person does not have such a license.

(3) Licenses for concealed handguns shall be uniform throughout the state in substantially the following form:

166.292 Procedure for issuing; form of license; duration. (1) If the application for the license is approved, the sheriff shall issue and mail or otherwise deliver to the applicant at the address shown on the application, within 45 days of the application

It's right there in black and white. "If the application for the license is approved, the sheriff shall issue...within 45 days"

The application isn't approved until after your appointment and they do your fingerprints, etc. That is when the 45 day timer starts. It sucks I know, but that's how it goes.

In Yamhill County the Sheriff has designated hours for CHL applications (Wed AM and Fri PM). No appointment necessary: Walk in and stand in line. Application process took about an hour, most of it waiting to be finger printed. Six business days later I had my license in the mail. Government bureaucracies can work if the people in charge want them to. Kudos to Sheriff Crabtree!

Coos County has a set time of day, similar to Yamhill County. I went in during the afternoon, turned everything in, and my card was in my mailbox the next day...talk about a quick turn-around!

In Yamhill County the Sheriff has designated hours for CHL applications (Wed AM and Fri PM). No appointment necessary: Walk in and stand in line. Application process took about an hour, most of it waiting to be finger printed. Six business days later I had my license in the mail. Government bureaucracies can work if the people in charge want them to. Kudos to Sheriff Crabtree!
Yes, the process is simple and efficient. I don't understand why Multnomah County is doing what they are doing-unless the real
purpose is to discourage people from obtaining CHLs.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top