Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

MSR's

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by deen_ad, Apr 14, 2010.

1. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

According to a four page brochure being handed out by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) they are requesting that we no longer use the term "Assault Rifles" and instead call them MSR's (Modern Sporting Rifles) to try and change the perception that AR's are in common use by the shooting public.

See the video here.

Deen
    NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
    WAC member
    SWWAC member

2. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

I second the motion!!!

The only assault is the one against the rifles.

3. Teufel_Hunden

Teufel_Hunden Albany, Oregon Active Member

I'm not certain anything will change the perception but......its worth a try.

T_H

4. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

They (you) won't get the meda to change.

5. Artilleryman

Artilleryman Originally from the central midwest but have reloc Active Member

I've been doing this for about 3 years...I don't call 'em "msrs" but anytime I encounter the term "assault rifle" misused when referring to non-select fire AR's, AK's, etc I take the opportunity to deliver a block of instruction on the subject......and on the deliberate intent by the left which continually propagates the misnomor.

I don't seem to make many friends here in multnomah county for some reason...:thumbup:

6. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Sorry, I like the term assault rifles. Flame me if you will, but I will continue to use it. Just like you people who choose to open carry, hoping it will become seen as a good thing. Eventually, the word will lose its fangs. Because, honestly, take away the negative connotations, and its a very useful word...

7. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

you then become part of the problem rather than a solution! Continuing to use it just helps perpetrate the media lies.

8. irehog66

irehog66 SE Portland Member

AMEN BROTHER!! Changing the reference does nothing. . . . . That is such a "liberal" way of doing it! . . . . I KEEP MSRs IN MY HOUSE TO "ASSAULT" THE BAD GUYS IF AND WHEN THEY COME.

GET REAL!:nuts:

9. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

In that argument, all individuals who open carry are part of the problem (devil's advocate here, no reason to get bent OC folks). They are perpetuating the myth that all gun owners wish it was still the wild west and want to intimidate people... :paranoid:

Look. Words do not have power. Actions have power. Don't whine about a term that people use. Educate people that what the media refers to as an assault rifle is NOT an automatic, NOT an SBR, and NOT illegal. Educate people as to what the term IS referring to. Don't scream at a brick wall (an apt description of the liberal media) trying to get it to change. Educate their targets.

Not much point of accusing me of being part of the problem. Beyond not really caring what you think of me (no offense meant, but there are very few people who I care about their opinion of me, and I don't know you), I am pretty comfortable with the things I do being positive for our cause. But if it makes you feel better, have at it. :thumbup:

10. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

I've never called AR-15s assault rifles. They are semi auto only. Select fire is part of the definition of assault rifle. What's wrong with just calling it a rifle? Modern sporting rifle is too long, assault rifle is incorrect. It's just a rifle.

Don't even get me started on people calling things like FALs and PTR-91s assault rifles.

Oh yeah.. and the word "modern sporting rifle" reminds me more of what rednecks do to 1903s than AR-15s...
    pix153965703.jpg pix91181218.jpg
    ;_;

11. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

I like to point out to the politically correct how they pay homage to Adolf Hitler who basically invented the term. The looks on their faces is priceless. I just call them rifles, carbines, or pistols. Unlike the NRA, I will call them weapons... :)

12. phathom

phathom Vancouver, WA Member

I just call them rifles, long guns, etc. If I had a M16 that was select fire instead of an AR15 that is semi-automatic, I would call that an assault rifle, because it is, but for mine and others, it is what it is, a rifle, a long gun, a carbine, etc. Not an assault rifle.

13. tattoo

tattoo NorthWest Active Member

Talking about your crap stereotyping, I own an (lord help me) AK47. I don't think the public will ever understand. IT'S MY PERSONAL DEFENSE WEAPON. Bet I burn in ****. :(
    Dave:)

oops. I said the h word. Sorry.

14. nickyjusa

nickyjusa NE PDX New Member

I always thought the proper term was "tactical weapon"....

15. phathom

phathom Vancouver, WA Member

Is that what you've been OCing in your other thread :jawdrop::thumbup:

16. ernurse

ernurse molalla oregon Active Member

I always like to point out that every rifle every made was originally designed to be the "assault rifle of their time", from flintlocks to lever action winchesters. So to use it in describing something like the EBR, I just laugh. And mountain bear hate to disagree brother but words do have power, especially when spoken in ignorance or by someone who wields power given to them by whomever, just my two cents.

17. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

Henry was the most famous
    NavyHenry1860.jpg

That damned Yankee rifle that they load on Sunday and shoot all week!

NavyHenry1860.jpg

18. 56kninja

56kninja Portland Member

I just call them rifles, or semi auto rifles.. I don't have much care for Assault Rifle. An assault rifle is a machine gun. I don't have any machine guns, but I do have a semi auto rifle.

19. Outrider

Outrider Oregon Active Member

Actually, words do have power. They convey information and they can persuade. Word choice matters. The words that are chosen can convince/manipulate the listener. What a person says often is not as important as how the person says it.

Politicians and lobbyists do this all the time because it is effective. One of the things that occurs in D.C. is that interest groups lobby senators and representatives. When they make their pitch, they use certain language and the idea is if you can get your target to start using your terminology, you will win the argument because it controls how he will think about the matter. The technique is called "Semantic Infiltration." Both sides, conservatives and liberals do it.

The thing about the term "Assault Rifle" is that it has a very specific meaning. It is a rifle capable of select fire, that shoots a medium caliber rifle round, and makes use of a large capacity, detachable magazine. When the term is applied to all semi automatic rifles with military styling generically, it changes the meaning.

It's much harder for you to justify why you as a civilian need a military weapon. Go ahead and try explaining to non-shooters why you need a machine gun. You will see a lot more resistance to the idea than you saying you want a semi automatic rifle. A semi automatic rifle can be distinguished from a military select fire rifle. When people think of a semi automatic rifle as a civilian rifle, that makes it more acceptable to the masses.

The people you are trying to convince to leave your gun rights alone are not interested in shooting. They simply don't want to be shot. They don't care about the difference between clips and magazines. They don't care about barrel length or rifle twist. They just want to know that you're not talking about a gun that shoots its entire magazine with one press of the trigger.

Calling them assault rifles or assault weapons so you feel like you have a cool, deadly firearm is counterproductive. It's power fantasy stuff, it scares the non-shooters, and it makes it harder for us to argue our case because we have to fight through their emotional response.

20. bugeye

bugeye Oregon Well-Known Member

How about ZDW for Zombie Defense Weapon, and remind the public that they might not be so lucky to get the slow dull ones from night of the livng dead, and just might get the newfangled ones that can jump!