JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Slowly starting to stockpile items I've always wanted. Picked up a pair of Glocks a couple of months back and two stripped AR lowers the other week.

I've now got a pile of AR parts waiting for me when I return home from overseas. If there is anyone in the Portland area that wants to teach a new guy I'm always open to learn.

I'm also interested into getting into some competitive shooting, but don't know where to start, and I'm the first to admit that I'm very green.

Welcome from the great State of Jefferson.

Folks are friendly and helpful here, so when you're ready just let us know and you'll probably have more help than you can stand. ;)

31959737_493089417794748_2404858712809275392_o.jpg
Welcome from the great State of Jefferson.

Folks are friendly and helpful here, so when you're ready just let us know and you'll probably have more help than you can stand. ;)
32072770_493092414461115_8342258306374434816_o.jpg

Slowly starting to stockpile items I've always wanted. Picked up a pair of Glocks a couple of months back and two stripped AR lowers the other week.

I've now got a pile of AR parts waiting for me when I return home from overseas. If there is anyone in the Portland area that wants to teach a new guy I'm always open to learn.

I'm also interested into getting into some competitive shooting, but don't know where to start, and I'm the first to admit that I'm very green.
Welcome to Orygun and to the forum.

The .22 Rimfire Challenge is a great and cheap introduction to competitive shooting sports. It's ran by a forum member and is an absolute HOOT! They offer quite a few challenges each year...See the link below

Rimfire Challenge - Douglas Ridge Rifle Club | Northwest Firearms - Oregon, Washington, and Idaho Gun Owners

Welcome to Oregon and the forum! You got here just in time to help Oregon remain a free state. We are staring down the barrel at draconian laws that make California appear to be "free" by comparison by a gun hostile legislature and Governor.

Please register to vote (Welcome to ORESTAR !) and also keep an eye on the legislative forums (Firearm Legislation & Activism). For example, had IP 43 made the ballot and passed your Glock would have become a banned assault weapon along with those AR lowers.

Welcome. What kind of competitive shooting are you interested in?

Not sure, whats out there? Something easy but fun, with a good beginner support group.

Welcome! Find a local speed steel match, those are always low key and very welcoming to beginners.

Will have to look around for one.

Welcome to Orygun and to the forum.

The .22 Rimfire Challenge is a great and cheap introduction to competitive shooting sports. It's ran by a forum member and is an absolute HOOT! They offer quite a few challenges each year...See the link below

Rimfire Challenge - Douglas Ridge Rifle Club | Northwest Firearms - Oregon, Washington, and Idaho Gun Owners

Works for me, I'll check it out, the first AR build is going to be dedicated 22LR.

Maybe a post over in the Competitive Shooting forum would be in order. There is a LOT going on---depends
on what you want. Rifle? Pistol? Shotgun? All three?

Welcome from Beaverton. If you're "very green", I would suggest Frog Lube. Some people swear by it, some just think it smells like magical fairy farts. Your mileage may vary.
Cheers.

Welcome from Corvallis.
Give revolvers a chance, too. A S&W 686 .357mag is a great way to start with revolvers. You start off with .38 special wadcutters, which in that gun are like shooting a .22. When you move up to .357 you can hunt deer with it. And small game too.

Not sure, whats out there? Something easy but fun, with a good beginner support group.

Will have to look around for one.

Works for me, I'll check it out, the first AR build is going to be dedicated 22LR.

No point dedicating an entire AR to .22 IMO, make it whatever you want it to be like chambered in .223 and then drop in a .22 BCG and with a different magazine can practice with .22 using the same AR you love in .223

That's just my opinion though.

There is a LOT going on
I sure wish you were correct, Bill. Compared to larger metro areas, there just are not very many options. I'll say it this way, at least: In each month, there are only a handful of matches in each discipline. There are no weekday matches, really. There aren't even very many gun ranges.

But if you're new to any of this, @PMSfishy, maybe there is a lot going. I'm a USPSA shooter. Douglas Ridge is a good match to start on, but Dundee is more fun.

I came from California not knowing anything about guns and have really jumped in once I moved to Oregon (a state that used to be free and is leaking its rights every year...).

Having lived in Commiefornia for a while, buying guns in Oregon is a different experience. I wasn't green as I owned guns prior to '94 there and hunted for years there. I quite enjoy the freer state. I am a huge fan of going out shooting.

I sure wish you were correct, Bill. Compared to larger metro areas, there just are not very many options. I'll say it this way, at least: In each month, there are only a handful of matches in each discipline. There are no weekday matches, really. There aren't even very many gun ranges.

Agreed--it's not Phoenix or even Saint George. USPSA has Douglas Ridge, Dundee and Albany--along with a Outlaw match at Tri-County. Speed Steel at Tri-C and Albany, 3 gun Douglas Ridge, Tri-C and Albany? Lots of shotgun
sports--I know they do weekday Trap at a range in Dundee (different that the pistol range). IDPA at Tri-C and Albany?
I can shoot a match every weekend, and 2 matches on the 1st,2nd and 4th weekends if I want--and that's just USPSA,
Steel and 3-gun.

Welcome

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads