JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For those of us who have not received the add as of yet, please give the details on the model of Mossberg and price, please. I love the Mossberg line in general. I've owned one for 40 years, and it has always been reliable.

There are better shotguns available, but they all cost much more.
Mossberg IMHO is the best shotgun in that price category.
I own a couple and never saw the need to upgrade.

And yes, do tell what is the sale price and what model?

I've had a little 20 gauge Mossy pistol grip shotgun since the middle 1980's. It has functioned flawlessly, is rugged, and is ergonomic. What's not to like? I kept it in my car in TX when there was no such thing as legal CC in that state. Loaded shotguns were legal in a vehicle, so...

Now I feed it a box or two of rounds per year just for fun, and keep it in the home defense rotation.

If they are asking for $350 for a really nice set up, as in synthetic stock and two barrels, i'd grab it, you can find used one from $200 and up, mossberg 500's are lighter and easier to take apart then an 870, I have about $1000 into my 870 to make it what I wanted, and have about $250 total including the cost of the mossberg to be what I want it to be, the mossy kicks a little more due to its lightweight and its a pain in the rear to get more then a 5 shotshell mag for'em but they're reliable. If you take a shotgun course, and do all the tactical loading through the breech then get a 870, if not you'll be happy with a mossberg 500.

The Mossberg is a fine shotgun. I despise aluminum, so I prefer the 870 series, but at one point or another I've been a factory certified armorer for both the 870 and the 500, and would say both work equally as well. I honestly didn't find more more difficult to do basic disassembly and reassembly on either. Armorer wise, I needed a few more tools for the 870, but it wasn't an issue.

A few things to keep in mind. Extending the mag tube on a Mossberg is difficult to the point of impracticality (outside the 590A1 line). Much easier to do it on an 870. If you're left handed, the safety is nicer on the Mossberg. As for the action bar release, I don't mind moving my hand forward on the 870 to hit it, as I don't want my finger anywhere near the trigger while I do this. If you're right handed, the safety on the Remington works fine, and can be improved with a big head button, such as the one from Vang Comp. Due to the position of the safety, if you ever have the notion to put either a straight pistol grip or pistol grip buttstock on the gun, stick with the 870. The safety cannot be reached on a Mossberg when using a pistol grip. The hand has to come off the grip to reach it.

The bottom line is that if you don't plan on playing much with the gun, then the Mossberg in the ad would suit your needs very nicely. However, if you are a tinkerer, then either go with a Remington 870 or at least a Mossberg 590A1. Hope this was helpful, good luck getting what you need.

Mossberg builds good, rugged shotguns.

The (poor) image in the Fisherman's advertisement appears to be of a Mossberg shotgun with the breacher barrel and 590esque magazine cap. If that what they are selling it's a GREAT price for a good gun, might just be a stock image they used though. At any rate I had a class recently where a person had a gun similar to the one pictured, ran fine and all but recall it being louder than the rest of the shotguns there.

Similar to this, but with a stock.
WSProdLG_mossberg54125.jpg

WSProdLG_mossberg54125.jpg

I quit buying Mossberg shotguns when they started making them in Mexico. The tang safety on the back would break to easily because it is plastic. I use an older 870 Police shotgun.

jj