JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi all. I'm looking for suggestions for upgrades to a Mossberg 500a. It has an 18.5" barrel, I'm thinking of turning it into a home defense gun, but am also on the lookout for a longer barrel for hunting. I've tentatively decided on a Magpul stock and fore end, but I don't know what I should do about sights. Just getting started with this, so I'm open to any ideas.

Thanks!

[Edit]
So to clarify, I've had this shotgun for over two decades, I've used it enough to be quite accurate with it (but not super fast or tactical or anything). However, I find the stock uncomfortable, the LOP is too long, and I don't like the fore grip. I've gotten used to the virtually nonexistent front sight, but I'd prefer a more visible sight in the event rapid target acquisition is necessary (particularly in low light), and I have no idea what sights are good for these. I do have a sling, though I don't particularly like it; I'd consider a scabbard, but I know nothing about those either. I'd also appreciate input on a shell holder, if anyone has had good experience with a particular model that works with the 500. A light is a must, but I'm not sure how to mount it so it won't be in the way of anything.

In short, I'm trying to turn a shotgun I don't particularly like into one that I do, keeping it lightweight, and not spending a ton of money on gimmicky or gratuitous crap. I'd particularly appreciate feedback from anyone who's had experience with mods for a 500, and any gotchas to watch out for.

Thank you!

M500a.jpg

Last Edited:
I appreciate the sentiment, but I've got that part covered. :)
They don't need much. Perhaps a good light, and a good mount. The magpul stock is nice, but not needed. Ergos are a bit better, but it also adds weight. Sights aren't really needed on a shotgun unless shooting slugs. Aim down the barrel, or what the brightest part of the flashlight mounted to it is on.

This is the cleanest looking and secure mount I know of. I had one on a shotgun a while back.

The more crap you put on it, the heavier it gets and the harder it is to swing and move around with.

Go with a decent mount and light. I use a Nordic Components mount: https://nordiccomp.com/products-home/

I also like having a sling so I can have both hands free when going through gates or over fences when chasing down coyotes.

Pistol grip stocks are good for turkey hunting where you're sitting and stationary, but I personally don't like them on a general purpose shotgun.

It's already a home defense gun right off the assembly line. What you want is something that looks tactical so the beer cans in the woods will quake in their labels

Make sure you have sling on your shotgun and you may want to get a side saddle so you can carry extra shot shells. I have a butt stock side saddle but I do have an Esstac 6 shell holder. I need to buy some velcro to stick them in the side of the receiver. I have an 18.5" 590A1 with a bead sight only.

https://esstac.com/shotgun/

For my light mount I have a CDM Gear MTR I am using the TLR-1s light but if you put Magpul furniture then the forend has an m-lok style.

They don't need much. Perhaps a good light, and a good mount. The magpul stock is nice, but not needed. Ergos are a bit better, but it also adds weight. Sights aren't really needed on a shotgun unless shooting slugs. Aim down the barrel, or what the brightest part of the flashlight mounted to it is on.

This is the cleanest looking and secure mount I know of. I had one on a shotgun a while back.
I like that light clamp; it's super minimalist, and lightweight is a must. I've been considering the Magpul because it's a shorter LOP than the uncomfortable stock stock, and from what I've seen reaching the safety won't be a problem with it.

A good light and some shells. I'd wouldn't put a sling on a home defense shotgun.
I'm definitely planning a light; I'd considered the Magpul fore grip for that purpose.

I want to add a shell holder as well, do you have any specific suggestions on good ones? I've heard bad things about velcro falling off, or the plastic ones getting worn out and the shells falling out, and the top of the 500 isn't tapped, so I'm not sure how I'd mount one.

I'll second the metal safety. There are a few options, but I like the Vang Comp one that looks stock but is metal and slightly oversized. Another thing I did, although it was only because it was the first gun I purchased on my own and plan on keeping it, was to replace the stock, plastic trigger housing with the aluminum one from a 590A1 so it reduces the already super slim chance of breaking that. Both of those were bought from Brownell's. As for sights, I got an XS Sights big dot tritium sight that replaces the gold bead. Big orange dot in the day (or one of their other colors) and tritium for at night. Lots of options to make it what you want it to be, but you won't be undergunned with how it comes out of the box.

Good luck with finding what works for you and fits your defensive plan best.

The only thing needed done on an M500 is shown in the photos….. including having more than one! :D

077D368B-B6C3-4BDA-9F19-2C7EEFE2DB6F.jpeg 34524092-88A7-413D-AB41-0B463E5E6F7F.jpeg CF7D0D43-9160-4A15-8A58-FD7B82F31DBD.jpeg

-7/8 round mag-tube with matching 20" barrel.

-Speed-feed stock (you can also cut the synthetic stocks down an inch or two).

-Heat shield.

-Bayonet mount (of course!).

-Upgrade to metal M590 trigger housing.

-Metal safety switch pad.

You can also add a Mepro tritium front sight in place of the brass bead-sight.

Did I mention have more than one? :D

Last Edited:
Good advice and thoughts above. I would consider making it a dedicated home defense gun and buy a second SG for hunting. The LOP on the Magpul (and for HD shotguns in general) is shorter and you will likely not like this for hunting. Plus, you will have to put a plug in to reduce capacity to hunt with it.

My 870 has a light, sleeve on the stock for extra shells and sling mounts although I don't keep a sling on it for immediate use. I like slings but for immediate deployment in a home defense situation, too many things for it to get caught on in tight quarters in the dark (like door knobs). If I had the time and knew it would be with me for a while in a HD situations (very unlikely) I can put the sling on with QD's. I've searched building using shotguns with and without slings and this is just my preference...not saying it's right for anyone else. Good thread!

I would suggest practice with your shotgun...
As in practice with it , in your house.

Buy some snap caps and after making sure you have no live rounds in your gun , load it with the snap caps.
Then...
Maneuver in your house and rooms...see where you have good clear field of fire....where blind spots are...
Where does the gun have the potential to get snagged or hung up.....
What kind of cover or concealment is offered , both to you or a threat....
Practice shooting it with the snap caps...to get a feel of what it is like to do so in your house.

See what you need for the shotgun to work for your use....not what works for someone else....

All of this , plus plenty of actual range time.

Above all , no matter what you do ...have a plan...and a flexible mindset.
Andy

I would suggest practice with your shotgun...
As in practice with it , in your house.

Buy some snap caps and after making sure you have no live rounds in your gun , load it with the snap caps.
Then...
Maneuver in your house and rooms...see where you have good clear field of fire....where blind spots are...
Where does the gun have the potential to get snagged or hung up.....
What kind of cover or concealment is offered , both to you or a threat....
Practice shooting it with the snap caps...to get a feel of what it is like to do so in your house.

See what you need for the shotgun to work for your use....not what works for someone else....

All of this , plus plenty of actual range time.

Above all , no matter what you do ...have a plan...and a flexible mindset.
Andy
My first shotgun was a Maverick 88 with 5+1 tube magazine. I shot cases of 12 gauge full power 9 pellet 00 buckshot. A case is 250 shot shells. My typical range trip for a shotgun was 50-75 rounds. I got fairly good at how many rounds left by counting my shots and also practiced pulling rounds from my buttstock side saddle was well.

I also have a bandolier which holds 50 shot shells but keep it loaded with 25 rounds. A shotgun is really devastating at close range but is limited by keeping the magazine tube full.