JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Roger that sir, but I've heard from instructors that for shotguns specifically, the two point can potentially interfere with the pump action.
As mentioned above, I've not had an issue with a 2pt on my 870. I ran it in a Cerberus Training class with zero problems.
Since this old thread is getting bumped here's my update on this ^^^...I took Steve Fisher's Low Light class linked below and pretty much got the message he thought single pt. slings sucked, especially on shotguns. I ran my typical VCAS but on my 1301 this time.

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/combat-shotgun-training-near-seattle.392209/page-2

Since this old thread is getting bumped here's my update on this ^^^...I took Steve Fisher's Low Light class linked below and pretty much got the message he thought single pt. slings sucked, especially on shotguns. I ran my typical VCAS but on my 1301 this time.
I got a Magpul sling that I can convert from 1 to 2 point easily. I like the 1 point since there's no chance of fouling the pump, and it's snug enough that I can't see any conceivable way it could hang up on a door knob. The 2 point is more for carrying, sustained, or outdoors use. I have inadvertently grabbed the sling when working the pump action on a couple of occasions while practicing with the 2 point, as well as snagging it on door knobs, so I get why some people recommend 1 point for shotguns. I've also seen numerous people recommend no sling at all for a home defense shotgun, but then you open yourself up to dropping it or having it taken from you, so I keep it stored in 1 point trim with a big rubber band (until I find something better) holding the sling to the stock.

Also, when I use a 2 point sling, it's slung if I'm carrying, but not when I'm shooting, so it could also be dropped or taken away. I've never figured out how to use a 2 point sling on a pump shotgun the way I do on a rifle (bracing the forearm), since you have to disentangle to use the pump. But I'm in no way a sling expert, so there may be other techniques.

Hi all. I'm looking for suggestions for upgrades to a Mossberg 500a. It has an 18.5" barrel, I'm thinking of turning it into a home defense gun, but am also on the lookout for a longer barrel for hunting. I've tentatively decided on a Magpul stock and fore end, but I don't know what I should do about sights. Just getting started with this, so I'm open to any ideas.

Thanks!

[Edit]
So to clarify, I've had this shotgun for over two decades, I've used it enough to be quite accurate with it (but not super fast or tactical or anything). However, I find the stock uncomfortable, the LOP is too long, and I don't like the fore grip. I've gotten used to the virtually nonexistent front sight, but I'd prefer a more visible sight in the event rapid target acquisition is necessary (particularly in low light), and I have no idea what sights are good for these. I do have a sling, though I don't particularly like it; I'd consider a scabbard, but I know nothing about those either. I'd also appreciate input on a shell holder, if anyone has had good experience with a particular model that works with the 500. A light is a must, but I'm not sure how to mount it so it won't be in the way of anything.

In short, I'm trying to turn a shotgun I don't particularly like into one that I do, keeping it lightweight, and not spending a ton of money on gimmicky or gratuitous crap. I'd particularly appreciate feedback from anyone who's had experience with mods for a 500, and any gotchas to watch out for.

Thank you!

View attachment 1131297
I would put a folding pistol grip stock on it. Had one of those for years and darn handy to store or carry. Then when you want to use it you still have full length stock so none of the drawbacks of guns like the shockwave.