JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ive never known skeeters to be a huge problem in the valley...
Maybe not so much in the valley, but I've sat in a truck 100 foot from Brightenbush lake debating whether or not to get out because I couldn't see the lake for the swarming skeeter hatch. Skeeters won, we went back down to Olallie where they were only thick.
Here is Junction city a long while back, hundreds of bumps on my face and one eye swollen shut!
001.jpg

My dad did 25 water rinses on a half wine barrel from Bi-Mart. Put in some rocks, some duckweed, some goldfish, and chicken wire over the top to keep the coons out. The goldfish love the mosquitos and they eat all the larvae. We just adjusted them, released them, and 3 years later they are still alive and we have less skeeters than ever.

Ouch, I know first hand the skeeters can be debilitating up in the mountains. Ollalie Lake area can get really bad too...

Thing is I commented because it wasnt clear if the subject is about surviving in the mountains or here in the valley in town?

Yeah an occasional bug or two or the ignorant neighbor with his breeding spare tire collection or whatever, Ive never had a problem in the valley.

I have heard Nettles can be made into a tea and that it can be applied to bug bites to stop the itching and prevent infection but I don't know it it's true, I need to dig around and find out.
I don't know about bug bites, but I use Stinging Nettles to help with my allergies (Cats and I think Hay Fever). I've lightly boiled it in water to make a tea though usually I put it in the blender with water then strain it through like a cheese cloth. Then I drink it.

I don't know about bug bites, but I use Stinging Nettles to help with my allergies (Cats and I think Hay Fever). I've lightly boiled it in water to make a tea though usually I put it in the blender with water then strain it through like a cheese cloth. Then I drink it.
Though not tried I have heard positive things about that. Nettles use to grow near the old Columbia brick works on Johnson Creek. I learned the hard way at an early age to watch where you drop your drawers to take a crap. If I close my eyes I can still feel the burn and will never forget what it looks like!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top