JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ziva or what ever virus be present -

What are some effective natural controls - that can be had/grown ?

DF7D7622-F1F3-45EE-97D2-6053EFE6B4A0.jpg

sweet jeebus.

So I've been doing battle with the flying insects all summer. So far what has worked: running bug-lights 24/7. Flies have also been a problem this year (not sure why) so fly traps have been out in force.

I've also put out two hummingbird feeders to encourage them to come around, because they eat as much in insects as they do in sugar water. For the last month since I've been serious about these measures I have yet to be bitten.

I've also put out two hummingbird feeders to encourage them to come around, because they eat as much in insects as they do in sugar water. For the last month since I've been serious about these measures I have yet to be bitten.

Good answer, I've also used hummingbirds for insect control before.

Poking around on the internet last month I learned some unfortunate info; apparently praying mantises enjoy snacking on hummingbirds :eek:

I always assumed that fight would go the other way. If you see a mantis around your feeders be sure to take care of it.

Put a Government agency in charge of increasing their numbers...

...they'll be almost extinct except on special preserves in 10 years (endangered in 2 ).

Till then spray away!
Drain standing water and encourage skeeter eaters.

Last Edited:
Good answer, I've also used hummingbirds for insect control before.

Poking around on the internet last month I learned some unfortunate info; apparently praying mantises enjoy snacking on hummingbirds :eek:

I always assumed that fight would go the other way. If you see a mantis around your feeders be sure to take care of it.
Dragonflies love mosquito larvae. I've got plenty of both living around me and I haven't seen a mosquito yet.

I remember watching a movie on Netflix that was about four escapees from a Russian gulag up in the arctic circle.
They walked all they way to India and when they traversed the Taiga Forrest they were being eaten alive by mosquitoes.
One of the men saw a local guy walking along a lake shore with a small ring of debarked tree limb placed around his neck. I always wanted to know what tree species it was that worked so well keeping the buggers at bay.

Here's a natural fly/mozzie spray I've been using for 3 years in W. and SE OR as well as other W. states.

1/2 cup witch hazel
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
30-50 drops of essential oils. Choose one or any combination of citronella, clove, lemongrass, rosemary, tea tree, eucalyptus, cedar, catnip, lavender, or mint.

It does not seem to stain clothing. I spray it on outdoor surfaces, clothing, etc. It's pretty effective and inexpensive.

There's also a fly/mozzie repellent that uses oil as the base [at least it works on both for me].

"These three oils are most effective against flies. To make an oil rub from these powerful oils, it's important to dilute them with a carrier oil. Make a 2% solution by adding 12 drops of your chosen essential oil per 1 fl. oz (30ml) of carrier oil, such as olive, basil, or mint oil. Apply it to your wrists, neck and other pulse points to keep flies away."
<broken link removed>

I remember watching a movie on Netflix that was about four escapees from a Russian gulag up in the arctic circle.
They walked all they way to India and when they traversed the Taiga Forrest they were being eaten alive by mosquitoes.
One of the men saw a local guy walking along a lake shore with a small ring of debarked tree limb placed around his neck. I always wanted to know what tree species it was that worked so well keeping the buggers at bay.
That was a good movie.
I saw a documentary of some Russians that made their own bug juice/tar.. I guess the magic ingredient is Birch bark.
Here's a vid on how.. I'm sure there's way better and this is small scale but I like this guy anyway..

2 approaches: Personal and Environmental

PERSONAL: Take regular doses of vitamin B-12. Maximum safe dose during skeeter season. It makes your natural skin oil smell bad to the bugs. Works for all sorts of insects.

ENVIRONMENTAL: Mosquitoes need still water to lay their eggs. Police up all sorts of still water sources in your area. Used tires are a particular problem. Anything that holds water, no matter how small. Even a coffee cup left outside can breed a swarm. If you can't remove the water source, like a pool or pond. you can buy mosquito rings to toss into the water to keep the larvae from hatching. Or pour oil into the water, enough to put a sheen over its whole surface.

Next build a self-perpetuating mosquito trap:

Take a large tub. I use a half oak wine barrel with a plastic liner (garden stores sell both). Fill with water. Insert two goldfish. Put a cover over about 1/3 of the top so the fishies have some shade. Top off the water through the summer months as necessary. Make more than one if you have a big area.

Mosquitoes are drawn to the still water and lay their eggs. The goldfish feed on the eggs and do not need supplemental food. Simple. Self-maintaining.

Between the three items, your mosquito bite count should go way down.

Citronella. We use to buy Citronella oil at the pharmacy back when pharmacies were useful for other things other than prescription stuff. Put some in oil lamps, Tiki lamps. I only buy the bug sprays with Citronella in it.

I eat a lot of garlic and rarely if ever get bitten when I'm around others that are.

Our neighbors didn't put oil in there rain collection bins or anything else to prevent the skeeters from breeding like crazy one year.

I sprayed my whole yard once every other day with garlic water and the bugs stayed out of our yard.

They figured out the rain bins fast when they couldn't go in the back yard.:rolleyes:

Ceder oil, lemon grass oils, with clove oils seem to work the best. You just spritz a little on your skin and even pets and it keeps the biting way down, even works on flees if used daily. Spritz around door ways and windows to keep bugs out of the house ( or any other area you want to protect) and it even keeps the spiders out.

Ceder oil, lemon grass oils, with clove oils seem to work the best. You just spritz a little on your skin and even pets and it keeps the biting way down, even works on flees if used daily. Spritz around door ways and windows to keep bugs out of the house ( or any other area you want to protect) and it even keeps the spiders out.

I add those oils and a few others to regular shampoo and it seems to keep the dog from getting the flees a set long as I bathe him 2-3 times a month.

I keep it away from his eyes obviously...

I add those oils and a few others to regular shampoo and it seems to keep the dog from getting the flees a set long as I bathe him 2-3 times a month.

I keep it away from his eyes obviously...
I have been using these Oils for years om my doggies, especially Our Golden Retriever who has sensitive skin. I add in oat meal and apple cider vinegar to help sooth his skin and it really works good.

Wife found growing Lemon Grass is really easy and so we have lots of it around.
I have heard Nettles can be made into a tea and that it can be applied to bug bites to stop the itching and prevent infection but I don't know it it's true, I need to dig around and find out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top