Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Mosin Help

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by tonedef89, May 15, 2011.

1. tonedef89

tonedef89 Eagle Point New Member

I have a new to me Mosin that I took apart today for the first time and discovered a healthy chunk of rust and corrosion on the top of the barrel under the handguard. The bore was dirty but no rust like this. Should I just clean it up and shoot it or be worried? I was thinking of buying a headspace gauge to check it before shooting but am now wondering if it might be a good idea to take it to a smith for a full check. Any info appreciated. 100_0301.jpg

100_0301.jpg

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

By the looks of it I would take it in and have it checked. I cant quite tell by the photo but it looks like the pitting is pretty deep in a few spots. Taking it in is cheeper than a hospital trip or seeing eye dog.

3. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

Real depth perception in a pic not being very possible, but looking at that makes me wanna grab a steel brush & finding out how deep it goes...(the rust)

4. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

it is only a 100 buck gun not worth spending a lot to fix just get a new one and keep or sell the usable parts off the old one

5. xm193

xm193 seatac Active Member

i have had rust on old guns before i usually take down to bare metal and kg gunkote them but this rust looks very deep. I wouldnt risk it

6. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

parts gun, parts gun....
    Ship it to me. i will make sure it ok. i have a few pounds of powder to proof test the barrel.

7. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

The wood colour makes me think it's a Polish mosin...could be the pic.

I've had a couple MNs with rust in that same spot, but the pic does make it look worse than the ones I had. I'd recommend stripping the rust out and checking the actual depth of it.

8. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

clean it and see how deep it is that also looks to be on the barrel and NOT the chamber, i had a bruno mauser that looked worse then that
    cleaned it up was only surface rust shot the #@#@ out of it
    remember the mosin the rim is the head space not the sholder so,,,,,,,

9. tonedef89

tonedef89 Eagle Point New Member

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone. The angle of the pic does make it look a little worse than it is, didn't notice that until I posted. I'll clean it and hope that it doesn't go too deep but will have a smith check it too for peace of mind. I'll update later. Thanks again.