JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a new to me Mosin that I took apart today for the first time and discovered a healthy chunk of rust and corrosion on the top of the barrel under the handguard. The bore was dirty but no rust like this. Should I just clean it up and shoot it or be worried? I was thinking of buying a headspace gauge to check it before shooting but am now wondering if it might be a good idea to take it to a smith for a full check. Any info appreciated. 100_0301.jpg

100_0301.jpg

By the looks of it I would take it in and have it checked. I cant quite tell by the photo but it looks like the pitting is pretty deep in a few spots. Taking it in is cheeper than a hospital trip or seeing eye dog.

The wood colour makes me think it's a Polish mosin...could be the pic.

I've had a couple MNs with rust in that same spot, but the pic does make it look worse than the ones I had. I'd recommend stripping the rust out and checking the actual depth of it.

clean it and see how deep it is that also looks to be on the barrel and NOT the chamber, i had a bruno mauser that looked worse then that
cleaned it up was only surface rust shot the #@#@ out of it
remember the mosin the rim is the head space not the sholder so,,,,,,,

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone. The angle of the pic does make it look a little worse than it is, didn't notice that until I posted. I'll clean it and hope that it doesn't go too deep but will have a smith check it too for peace of mind. I'll update later. Thanks again.