JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The environmentalist's drive to eliminate lead ammunition is not about lead contamination, that is too insignificant in the field (hunting) to have any environmental impact. It will however about driving up the cost of ammunition (dramatically!) when lead can no longer be used. Even if you are not a hunter THIS WILL AFFECT YOU!

Please contact your senators and ask them to vote for this bill. A vote "FOR" strengthens the right to use lead ammunition.

The Sportsmen's Act of 2012
FINAL VOTE EXPECTED MONDAY

Call your U.S. Senators 202-224-3121

Contact Your SenatorsThe U.S. Senate is scheduled to vote the afternoon of MONDAY, Nov. 26, on the Sportsmen's Act of 2012 (S.3525).

All hunters, target shooters and firearms owners should call your senators on Monday and urge them to vote YES on the Sportsmen's Act (S.3525), the most important package of measures for the benefit of sportsmen in a generation.

Do not be confused by the mistaken information put out by one national gun owners organization. S.3525 does not override current laws and thereby enable the seizure of privately-held land.

This historic legislation includes the firearms industry's top legislative priority, the Hunting, Fishing and Recreational Shooting Protection Act (S. 838) that would clarify that ammunition is excluded from regulation by the Environmental Protection Agency under the Toxic Substances Control Act.

Anti-hunting groups led by the Center for Biological Diversity are suing the EPA to force a ban on traditional ammunition made with lead components that would devastate hunting and shooting sports participation, drive up ammunition prices by almost 200 percent on average and dry up conservation funding.

No less than 46 of the nation's leading sportsmen and conservation groups including NRA, Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, American Sportfishing Association, International Game Fish Association, Center for Coastal Conservation, and Boone and Crockett Club are championing S.3525. This bipartisan legislation is strongly supported by the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

A similar package of bills--the Sportsmen's Heritage Act of 2012 (H.R. 4089)--was passed by the House in the spring by a bipartisan vote of 276 to 146. Passage of this pro-sportsmen's legislation will promote, protect and preserve our nation's hunting, shooting and conservation heritage for generations to come.

Call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 to urge your senators to SUPPORT the Sportsmen's Act of 2012. Find complete contact information for your elected officials here.

Contact Your Senators

After reading the bill I'm guessing that this is the part you are referring too?

SEC. 402. MODIFICATION OF DEFINITION.
Section 3(2)(B) of the Toxic Substances Control Act (15 U.S.C. 2602(2)(B)) is amended--

(1) in clause (v), by striking ‘, and' and inserting ‘, or any component of any such article including, without limitation, shot, bullets and other projectiles, propellants, and primers,';

(2) in clause (vi) by striking the period at the end and inserting ‘, and'; and

(3) by inserting after clause (vi) the following:

‘(vii) any sport fishing equipment (as such term is defined in subsection (a) of section 4162 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986) the sale of which is subject to the tax imposed by section 4161(a) of such Code (determined without regard to any exemptions from such tax as provided by section 4162 or 4221 or any other provision of such Code), and sport fishing equipment components.'

From what I read they just don't want you smashing the tip and inserting in toxic crap- am I not reading this right?

Anti-hunting groups led by the Center for Biological Diversity are suing the EPA to force a ban on traditional ammunition made with lead components that would devastate hunting and shooting sports participation, drive up ammunition prices by almost 200 percent on average and dry up conservation funding.

They can sue the EPA all they want, the EPA has already stated that they have no authority to regulate lead in ammo.

There's nothing "insignificant" about the amount of lead slung in waterfowl shooting. Virtually all the pellets end up at the marsh bottom, where they're scooped up by ducks and other dippers. They stay in the birds' crops for years, causing the blood lead levels to build up dangerously high.

I agree that lead in pistol and rifle ammunition is inconsequential, except for localized hot spots like outdoor shooting ranges.

As much as I hate the dishonesty in this so-called "environmental" approach to ammo restriction, I don't think that digging in our heels and fighting any and all ammo controls is honest either. Hunters have a rep for being among the best stewards of the wild places, and it's for a reason.

Lead shot has been illegal for waterfowl hunting for 21 years now (since 1991) chemist.
Waterfowl hunting is federally regulated, as a duck stamp (Migratory Waterfowl Stamp) is issued by the feds, and the no-lead law is nationwide.

Fish and Wildlife Service

But there are environmentalists that can't seem to get over the fact that lead in rifle ammo is a non-issue in terms of enviro-contamination.

Wherever varmint hunting and endangered carrion birds (like the CA condor) overlap they holler loudest.

I guess I'm a bit behind the times! Here I thought it was state-regulated. Thanks for disabusing me; and no, I don't mind looking foolish in public.

The rifle-ammo argument is most ridiculous when you realize how little chance there is for a condor actually swallowing a bullet fragment. At Pinnacles they still feed them with stillborn calves, like they're zoo animals.

As usual, a bill that started off with good intent for sportsmen and outdoors people was bastardized by special interest. Many of them with their hand out.
As a result it didn't pass.
There are some things in this bill I find highly objectionable. Like the secretaries (leaders) of boards being allowed to accept gifts from outside interests, thereby authorizing a "pay to play" situation.

Giving "conservation groups" like HSUS and The Nature Conservancy equal voice in management decisions.
And $20,000,000 or more being made available ANNUALLY to federal "conservation" projects for acquiring land and waterways, as authorized by NOAA etc.

And giving millions in matching funds to foreign countries and entities for conservation efforts of Asian and African elephants, rhinoceros, Tigers etc.
Have a read for yourself:

Full Text of S. 3525: Sportsmen

Knowing what the bill looked like when Tester (a dem) first introduced it and what it morphed into after additions and amendments, it probably shouldn't have passed, and should be reintroduced in a more streamlined form.

Hopefully one that avoids creating another half dozen federal bureaucracies for shooters and sportsmen to have to sift through to discover who in government screwed them.

Hmmmm, someone correct me but as far as velocity and public safety is not a head lead bullet far more safe to use ?
I could not help but think FMJ etc that can pass right through and keep going are in theory not as safe as lead one.

I may be way off base, but to me it seems safer they way it is.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top