JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I got this Winchester model 94 that was my uncles...He passed away last year and now its in my hands. I know he had the gun since he was younger, (in the 70s) but I didnt think it was that old. I looked up the serial number 236XXX and it seems to have been made in 1902...From the web sites I looked at, being built in 1902, it should have an octogon barrel and saddle ring. It has neither, and the magezine tube does not run the full length of the barrel, its just longer than the stock...I havnt seen many that dont run the full length of the barrel. Any experts out there that can tell me what I have?

The Model 94 was available in those days with just about any option one wanted. Two basic versions: the saddle-ring carbine, and the rifle. The saddle ring carbine was nearly exclusively built with a round barrel. As for the rifle, you could get an octagon or a round barrel, (or even half-octagon, half-round!) and any length magazine desired. Very rare would be a rifle with a saddle ring. Other options would be a pistol grip, checkering, swivels, and choice of sights. Without a picture, it would seem you have a 94 rifle with the round barrel and what is called a "half magazine". Very desirable and frequently ordered that way for a man who wanted a hunting rifle rather than a work gun. The half-magazine gave the advantage of reduced weight, and no magazine hanger attached to the barrel, perhaps adding to accuracy. Your gun is relatively uncommon, but the added value of its rarity can never be equaled by its value to you as a family heirloom. Care for it, cherish it, and above all honor your uncle's memory by hunting with it!

Thanks for your input Spitpatch. Ill never get rid of this rifle I just wanted to know a little more about it...and I do plan to harvest my deer next year with it

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top