Minum Unit

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by zluthi, Jul 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Stomper

Stomper
    Shut Your Face!!
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter 2018 Volunteer

A992F950-BF91-4072-9C41-670E197FAE31.gif

sorry.... I know I’m not helping the OP’s conundrum. ;)

2. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter

If he really wants to use a horse .
    Thats probably what he will have to do .
    I don't think anyone will rent a pack horse or horses . with out them being there .START LOOKING FOR A GUIDE SERVICE

bbbass, 156256Hunter and Argonaut like this.
  3. Rock solid

Rock solid
    Nw oregon

bbbass likes this.
  4. Vaultman

Vaultman
    Clackamas Co, Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

OK. Guys, way off on a horse tangent here...
    FIRST Question should have been: Deer or Elk?
    SECOND Question: What season or week?
    The weather and whether your considering packing out a buck or bull make a HUGE difference.
    I know some guys, in better shape than me (which isn't not saying much) that archery elk hunt that unit every year. One year was pretty hot and they got a big bull and only then hired a horse packer... to get the elk out before it spoiled. I haven't been but I know it is huntable out of a 5-7 day backpack. I have no idea if you are set up to hunt that way, or what it would take to be, but it is doable.
    BEST NEWS FOR YOU: you drew a tag this year and lost ZERO preference points. This is the first year I have done that and it feels amazing. :s0115: Almost as amazing as getting into a herd of elk.

5. bbbass

bbbass
    La Grande

Good luck with that. I also know people that go in there on foot... it's not for the average human!

6. nvs

nvs
    Yamhill County

7. Argonaut

Argonaut
    Weiser

You only need like 4,000 for the weekend and that is if you are in there service area. Not a bad busisness plan, a 2000.00 Horse for 4,000 and you can get him back for free.

8. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke
    Eugene
    Curmudgeon Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

This is why I have been considering acquiring a mule, however, good ones are VERY expensive.

Argonaut likes this.
  9. Argonaut

Argonaut
    Weiser

1C78CE77-3EF3-4BAE-9956-86A9AF3F1D1F.jpeg
    I think you might buy a decent mule for a couple of grand.......then you need saddles, a trailer...panniers but they will keep you warm at night!!!...........might get by for 5-6000.00 the second one is cheeper. That way you can ride one and lead the other.....both will fit in one trailer. Budget 10,000 for the pair equipped and ready to go (might get by for a little less) Get a jack and a genny, they will usually get along better. Nice looking 12 year old genny for 2,000 without saddle here in western Idaho.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  10. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke
    Eugene

When I was a kid my dad and brothers always packed in for deer season. They used mules. They also used them for bear hunting with hounds. Good mules have gotten very expensive in the last 60 years.

Argonaut likes this.
  11. nvs

nvs
    Yamhill County

Here's a mule buying tip. Great mules are never for sale because you can't replace them. Good mules rarely come up for sale and bad mules are always for sale or trade on Craigslist.

Vaultman likes this.
  12. Argonaut

Argonaut
    Weiser

“Good” stock has always been expensive, the numbers have just changed. A young energetic guy with time can do ok with green stock. I have never felt complete without horses, mules and dogs. Something in the DNA I think.

ZigZagZeke likes this.
  13. Argonaut

Argonaut
    Weiser

You are too cynical............I have even bought mules from the USMC and there training facility near Bishop California.

14. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke
    Eugene

Now on sale, only $12,000 (was $14,500):
    DSC04491ss.JPG

15. Argonaut

Argonaut
    Weiser

And still for sale........does that tell you anything? Big throughbred mule. Not real useful in the back country. Look in the back of Rural Herritage magazine. Lots of good Amish stock. A tall mule isn’t nessisary in the back country, would be nice in the show ring. My mule is out of a Morgan mare, is about 15 hands and gaited. This photo is of her as a baby. 1252E712-9FD9-4E27-907A-6EEEF32A6F02.jpeg

16. Vaultman

Vaultman
    Clackamas Co, Oregon

Did you figure out how you are going to hunt the Minum Unit yet? I hope you did... there are some big bulls/bucks in there.