JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently bought a used Mini 14, and while slightly used I was mostly quite pleased with the condition.

The barrel has been cut and a flash hider pinned and welded, and the other night while inspecting it, I noticed that the alignment of the site, and thus the hider were not at 12 o'clock, but slightly leaning left.

I haven't had the opportunity to take it out shooting, and the PO assured me that they had no accuracy issues when I brought it up post sale.
I'm positive said PO was unaware of this issue, and they bought it already modified.

Will this be an issue? How would I fix such a thing, if so? If accuracy is unaffected I can live with a little asymmetry.

Last Edited:
It seems the best course would be to shoot it and check the accuracy. If you decide you want to have it straightened, Velzey's up in your neck of the woods and he might do it.
Good luck, please keep us posted.

I couldn't live with a canted sight on my gun, LOL. I am very OCD about them and I would rather hold to the left of the target than look at my gun with crooked sights. Yes, I have been told I have a problem... by everyone I know :cool:

It's a mini, so beware of Minute of Pie Plate.. :)
(I own one too)

If it shoots straight, or within your ability to adjust the sights for it, then it shouldn't be a problem. If you would feel more comfortable, I'm sure there are smiths around that could fix it. Velezy, as named above, as well as Tornado Technologies in Hillsboro, etc..

I have no idea how many Minis I've had, but it's a bunch, and if you use them as a handy, quick pointing and shooting utility gun for farm and ranch, they're a darn good semi-auto rifle. If you want a solid dependable rifle and you're shooting within 100 yards or so, you're in clover.

When they're turned into "Target" models and such they just don't perform. That's not what they are and unless Ruger changes the design it never will be and then it wouldn't be a Mini 14 anyway.

Last Edited:
Thankyou all so much for your replies. I am aware of the capabilities and limitations of the mini, I've just been in love with it since I first shot one.

I'm definitely gonna test it out at the range, but I'm happy to be aware of local smiths who might be abke to fix it. Most likely I will have it fixed for peace of mind.

Thanks for dealing with my noob questions. I appreciate the opportunity to learn and I'm glad NWF is full of knowledgable folks who are willing to be patient.

If its a flash hider all its gonna do is be a flash hider. Flash hider and fsb a bit canted? If you can zero, rifle is fine. Just shoot it, if anything with the canted sight it'll be different and its nice to be different a bit.

Your issue is not uncommon.

The rifle is not a tack driver. I don't think you will notice any shooting variances, only issue is aesthetics.

Thanks y'all. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to long guns as I stated before, so I was just worried and ignorant. Glad to have more knowledgeable and experienced brains to learn from.