JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will be needing to install a GMRS radio is a new rig fairly soon, so am doing some searches. The Midland MXT400 looks* very interesting. I bounced it off one of my relations via marriage, who is most knowledgeable on all things radio, and gave this transceiver a pretty solid endorsement. The specs are, generally, better than the GMRS units we have now and I don't recall ever having a major issue with a Midland.

All that said, what say you? If a no-go, alternatives with similar capabilities?

Thanks!

* This one.
mobile-repeater-capable-gmrs-radio-40w-786383_480x.jpg

I've had one for several years now. Good radio, powerful. Match it with a good antenna and you should have no complaints. I like it mostly because it's not over complicated and very simple to use. You won't get "lost" trying to figure out the menu. It sits in my vehicle next to my Baofeng UV50X2. I can do GMRS with that but I like a dedicated GMRS radio with a matched antenna. Currently I'm using a Laird stubby, NMO mount. It puts out good around town and I don't have to take it off for the car wash. If I travel I'll throw the bigger GMRs antenna on.

I did a lot of research before I bought a GMRS for my Willys Jeep build and I bought a Midland MXT-400 and even though they now have a MXT-500 with 50 watts of power the cost is just to much for a radio for me. I have a Cobra 29 WXNWST with a 102" whip and the MXT-400 with Midlands 6db antenna. I will also carry a Garmin inReach Satellite Texting radio for emergencies where either radio or cell phone won't reach help. I al so have two of the Midland GMRS walkies I carry..

20210530_150042.jpg

I also bought two wouxun uv9g-pro HT's. Aside from the GMRS, they come preprogrammed with over 900 other freqs for scanning. Everything from military, airlines, Sar, etc. They have the full list on their website. I figured that if I'm going to nerd out in GMRS this is the way to start out.

00J0J_8gsSXRg2aE9z_084084_300x300.jpg

I will be needing to install a GMRS radio is a new rig fairly soon, so am doing some searches. The Midland MXT400 looks* very interesting. I bounced it off one of my relations via marriage, who is most knowledgeable on all things radio, and gave this transceiver a pretty solid endorsement. The specs are, generally, better than the GMRS units we have now and I don't recall ever having a major issue with a Midland.

All that said, what say you? If a no-go, alternatives with similar capabilities?

Thanks!

* This one.
View attachment 1168076
I just got an Midland mxt115 radio. I was really looking at the 400 but the price was over my budget plus the 115 is a lot smaller. It fits my vehicle better. Less power, but I figured it's good enough for a first radio. Not too complicated either.
I paid $70 for my license a week ago and still hasn't got it. Is that normal? How long does it usually takes? Screenshot_20220402-071618_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I just got an Midland mxt115 radio. I was really looking at the 400 but the price was over my budget plus the 115 is a lot smaller. It fits my vehicle better. Less power, but I figured it's good enough for a first radio. Not too complicated either.
I paid $70 for my license a week ago and still hasn't got it. Is that normal? How long does it usually takes?View attachment 1168935
Congrats, that's a great radio! When I got GMRS license it took about a week for it to show up in ULS. Any longer than that and send up an email, they are responsive. I don't think they are mailing physical copies of the license any longer but you can download and print it from your account.

Yes, I figured I'll wait another week. I know it's not a physical license. I'm expecting it in an email. I didn't see it anywhere on there website where I could follow-up. Plus if it's just a digital permit basically, it should be almost immediate I don't know why they sitting on it for weeks. Whatever, I guess that's just what government does.

Congrats, that's a great radio! When I got GMRS license it took about a week for it to show up in ULS. Any longer than that and send up an email, they are responsive. I don't think they are mailing physical copies of the license any longer but you can download and print it from your account.
I'm sorry, what is ULS?

Thanks!

* This one.
View attachment 1168076
Thread resurrection:
A follow-up on your mobile system and what radio are you using today on the GMRS?

Thread resurrection:
A follow-up on your mobile system and what radio are you using today on the GMRS?
I actually acquired the radio mentioned above. I haven't installed it in my new mobile yet, but will shortly. My better half has a similar GMRS in her vehicle. Since ages we've been planning on setting up a repeater at home; we have the equipment, just not the time.

This setup blew my mind. I got my GMRS mobile anytone with Laird magnamount antenna done. I also have a 8 watts GMRS handheld radio. I tried it and realistically both handhheld are having a rough time communicating past 2 miles. I use my mobile setup talking to the handheld and drove 5 miles and I was communicating very clear. I though that was pretty good and quite far for a handheld in the other end. I went to the air museum which is 14.5 miles and it was still communicating.
I just want to repeat what I had in that distance.
The anytone 20 watts GMRS mobile radio with Laird antenna on magnamount and a 8 watts handheld with regular rubber ducky antenna, If I was talking to my home setup which is the Jpole in the picture, I suspect I can easily hit both over 60 miles without any repeater.
1704066481615.png

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews