JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Exactly! Thanks for the help. Is the term pejorative to Mexicans? Mexican food just describes a type of good food. Since carrying without a holster is in most cases pretty stupid, maybe cheap, certainly dangerous, are these the reasons we call it "Mexican carry"?

If so we should come up with a new term. If not, then I just need to get over it and use the phrase with pride.

Would you give a rip if you heard Mexicans talking about "American carry" to describe some method of weapon stowage? Mexicans don't feel like Americans have anything on them. Quit feeling like you need to wear kid gloves with different nationalities- they don't with us.

Let me expound upon this... Mexico isn't a race, it's a place. Specifically, it's a nation, and people born and otherwise accepted as having special, permanent status in that country are known as nationals of the place- Mexicans. Mexicans, like people of many nationalities, are many races... various forms and mixes of Caucasians, Negros, and Asians.

Mexico isn't a race, nor does "Mexican" denote any race.

Therefor, "Mexican carry" cannot, in any way, shape, or form, be a racist term.

If you were at a range and Mike Tyson and a few of his buddies were shooing their 40 glock's sideways would you say "that's how a negro/african shoots a gun" ? I'm not offended by the term "mexican carry" but I do know people who would be . . .

I thought Mexican carry involved a bootlace and carrying it hidden in your pants lol.

I don't think it is a racist term. In my opinion, people in general have become so ignorant that the mere mention of nationality or race brings the response of racism.

But to racists, the term Mexican can refer to anybody born south of the US border. Don't be dull.

Any thoughtful responses?

Rasicst no, Offensive yes.

I AM mexican, and I do take offense when I hear that phrase. Regardless of what the respected Ayoob says it originates from... the current use is used as a derogatory description. I.e... it's irresponsible, and idiotic to carry a loaded gun in your belt without a holster. It's a stupid thing to do.

I think if you took a stupid act and named it after a certain people, then yeah... they're going to be offended.

So to answer Ben Beckerich - Yes... American Carry would be OFFENSIVE (maybe not racist) if it were the phrase used to call the act of carrying a loaded pink gun pointed at your dick all the time.

Racism is much more about how others feel about something I say or do. If I am not a racist person (and I am most certainly not), then it isn't simply my responsibility to stay away from things that I decide are hurtful. It is my responsibility, my desire, to stay away from words and actions that make others feel as though they were attacked.

Successful communication in this world isn't about what one means or intends, it is about what messages were received, however accurate or inaccurate the perception was. Any married man knows that, "I didn't mean that" isn't good enough.

I would much rather be sensitive before I say something, than hurt somebody without having ever meant to. I don't fall back on the argument that they had no right to be offended.

Rasicst no, Offensive yes.

I AM mexican, and I do take offense when I hear that phrase. Regardless of what the respected Ayoob says it originates from... the current use is used as a derogatory description. I.e... it's irresponsible, and idiotic to carry a loaded gun in your belt without a holster. It's a stupid thing to do.

Thank you for your response. This helps a lot.

If you want to debate about whether it's an offensive term, do that. But whether or not "Mexican carry" is a racist term is NOT an debatable argument- it's simply NOT a racist term. I'm sorry to pop your attempt at arousal, bro- but facts are facts.

Either way, it's ridiculous to be offended about this BS. Get off the sensitivity crap. In climbing, we have a thing called the "American death triangle." Am I offended by that phrase? No.

I think we have your point,like in the first post.
And since YOU said so it must ,in fact be true,since you have the self proclaimed highest IQ on this board:s0152::s0162:

A term being racist doesn't have to do with all the facts stated.Racism has to do with how statements are perceived by those that hear it. You can say all day the mexican isn't a race,blah,blah,blah,but if only 1 person of mexican heritage decides that your statement is racist,the it will be deemed racist,by the majority. Extreme intellects aside,of course.
All terms nowdays have different meanings and we can't always look at divine definitions to see,like in this incident, if a term is racist.

Therefore just because 1 person says the definition dictates it cannot be racist,doesn't mean that in the public's eye,it won't be racist

But Imma justa dumm country boy whatta I no?

A term being racist doesn't have to do with all the facts stated.Racism has to do with how statements are perceived by those that hear it. You can say all day the mexican isn't a race,blah,blah,blah,but if only 1 person of mexican heritage decides that your statement is racist,the it will be deemed racist,by the majority. Extreme intellects aside,of course.
All terms nowdays have different meanings and we can't always look at divine definitions to see,like in this incident, if a term is racist.

Therefore just because 1 person says the definition dictates it cannot be racist,doesn't mean that in the public's eye,it won't be racist

But Imma justa dumm country boy whatta I no?

How can something be racist when nothing about race was said or implied?

By your statement, I could say the president is a moderate neo-liberal and you could shout "racist!" and it would be so. How can you think that's an acceptable argument to make or entertain?

Since one of you was rude enough to bring illegal aliens into a non-political discussion, I'll say this:

People are the ultimate resource. We get stronger every time an immigrant crosses the border.

It amuses me that the people who scream "it's a right!" about the second amendment are the first people to whine that it doesn't apply to illegal immigrants, who, by virtue of being born south of an imaginary line were not included when god allegedly handed out the god-given rights.

The law is wrong, but is in the process of being changed. The American spirit is not one of exclusion, and is said best on the Statue of Liberty. Go there and read it when you start thinking "us" and "them".

Arm waving against illegal immigration smacks of fear, ignorance, "us and them", and is completely alien to the American spirit.

Fortunately, such silliness is in the minority.

But don't be afraid, being a minority isn't nearly as difficult (or dangerous) as it used to be. The heavy lifting has been done, and today your life as a minority will be relatively painless. Except for the fear.

For those of you who don't think racist language matters, don't worry, none of us are trying to convince you of anything. We're not talking TO you.

And we appreciate you putting your views on the record so clearly.

Best of luck!

I often think of this Roosevelt quote when discussing race in America.
We should insist that if the immigrant who comes here does in good faith become an

American and assimilates himself to us he shall be treated on an exact equality with every one else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed or birth-place or origin.

But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American and nothing but an American. If he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin and separated from the rest of America, then he isn't doing his part as an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. . . We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding-house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people. I have family from Mexico. They're not Mexican American, just American, and proud of their heritage. Political correctness is driving a wedge through this country,and IMHO,divided we fall.

Since one of you was rude enough to bring illegal aliens into a non-political discussion, I'll say this:

People are the ultimate resource. We get stronger every time an immigrant crosses the border.

It amuses me that the people who scream "it's a right!" about the second amendment are the first people to whine that it doesn't apply to illegal immigrants, who, by virtue of being born south of an imaginary line were not included when god allegedly handed out the god-given rights.

The law is wrong, but is in the process of being changed. The American spirit is not one of exclusion, and is said best on the Statue of Liberty. Go there and read it when you start thinking "us" and "them".

Arm waving against illegal immigration smacks of fear, ignorance, "us and them", and is completely alien to the American spirit.

Fortunately, such silliness is in the minority.

But don't be afraid, being a minority isn't nearly as difficult (or dangerous) as it used to be. The heavy lifting has been done, and today your life as a minority will be relatively painless. Except for the fear.

For those of you who don't think racist language matters, don't worry, none of us are trying to convince you of anything. We're not talking TO you.

And we appreciate you putting your views on the record so clearly.

Best of luck!

Since my wife and kids are LEGAL immigrants, and we went through the immigration process LEGALLY which was an expensive and emotionally draining process... and since our prison populations are around 60% ILLEGAL aliens, and not even getting into identity theft, tax fraud, welfare, public paid medical, MS13 gangsters, and tapping 12-14 girls (or attempting to) being a "cultural misunderstanding", etc...

With all due respect, you can stick your "imaginary lines" and open borders crapola "south" then due "north". :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top