JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know, I certainly understand the fondness and preference for the American variants, but calling the fans of the metric equivalents full of chit and tacticool seems trollish.

I like most things that go bang and give zero bubblegums what anyone else likes or doesnt:)

People that like European calibers are cool. I have several. My 7x57 is one of my favorite rifles because of the odd factor compared to the more popular calibers. The old school calibers are certainly not tacticool.

The full of schitt comes from the romanticism that goes with Mauser calibers. Yeah, they are cool. But they are generally obsolete.

I do have to admit, I don't get it these days. 6.5s have NEVER sold well in the US. Even when disguised with .264 as a measurement. Besides the 7mm Rem Mag, most metrics have sold poorly in the US. What's next? A resurgence of 8mm cartridges? Its like hipsters have invaded shooting. You know, the kind that drink weird beer, coffee that costs more than a pizza, and have Cascadia tattoos. I saw a guy with a French press at the range the other day. WTF?

I think the 7x57 is a almost perfect deer cartridge I dont really care about cool. I care that when it comes time to do the deed it will do it well. Yes there are more powerful cartridges but do I really need to shoot s larger round - it's really not needed. I am also a fan of the 300 Savage. Where the cartridge comes from isn't nearly as important as the qualities of the round.

I think the 7x57 is a almost perfect deer cartridge I dont really care about cool. I care that when it comes time to do the deed it will do it well. Yes there are more powerful cartridges but do I really need to shoot s larger round - it's really not needed. I am also a fan of the 300 Savage. Where the cartridge comes from isn't nearly as important as the qualities of the round.

Maybe its how the gun people get is to spend more money. A 7mm-08 is identical ballistically as a 7x57 but fits in a short action. A 280 or even 7mm Rem Mag will fit in a 7x57 action and give you more power if needed.

I have had a couple of 35 whelens a 338-06 and my 9.3x62
I found the 9.3x62 superior to the 35 Whelan and no longer have them. My two elk rifles are the 9.3x62 and 338-06 and inside 300 yards are very capable rounds. They will do what needs being done and the cool part will be the experience.

Maybe its how the gun people get is to spend more money. A 7mm-08 is identical ballistically as a 7x57 but fits in a short action. A 280 or even 7mm Rem Mag will fit in a 7x57 action and give you more power if needed.
You dont get it. I have more powerful rifles but I choose the 7x57 because I like the cartridge and my rifles chambered for it. More powerful guns are not always needed.

I have had a couple of 35 whelens a 338-06 and my 9.3x62
I found the 9.3x62 superior to the 35 Whelan and no longer have them. My two elk rifles are the 9.3x62 and 338-06 and inside 300 yards are very capable rounds. They will do what needs being done and the cool part will be the experience.

The 35 whelen is twisted slow. You wont find heavier factory ammo for it because they wont stabilize. I'd go 9.3x62 over a whelen any day.

You dont get it. I have more powerful rifles but I choose the 7x57 because I like the cartridge and my rifles chambered for it. More powerful guns are not always needed.

You're not getting it, kinda. Why carry a long action rifle if you can carry a shorter rifle with the same performance by going 7mm-08?

I know, its all preference. I have a 7x57 in an M70 Featherweight. I could care less that its a long action and that I only get 2800fps with a 140gr partition. It works.

You're not getting it, kinda. Why carry a long action rifle if you can carry a shorter rifle with the same performance by going 7mm-08?

I know, its all preference. I have a 7x57 in an M70 Featherweight. I could care less that its a long action and that I only get 2800fps with a 140gr partition. It works.
I like fn mausers and the added weight of a long action versus a short action is insignificant It would be a lot more helpful to lose some weight out of my pack. My pack always feels like a bag of cement at the end of a hunt.

I like fn mausers and the added weight of a long action versus a short action is insignificant It would be a lot more helpful to lose some weight out of my pack. My pack always feels like a bag of cement at the end of a hunt.

Are you a backpack hunter or use a daypack? I went to a daypack with an internal frame and better load bearing system. Made a world of difference.

Let me get this straight. You are a fan of the 300 savage but in another thread you are hating on the 308? o_O
Let me explain I prefer the 30-06 in a bolt rifle over a 308. I prefer 308 in my m1a or my fals and yes I now have a bolt 308. I prefer the 30 savage in my model 99. I do not think the 300 savage is as powerful as a 308 and I dont think a 308 is as powerful as a 30-06. If given a choice between a 308 or a 3006 in s bolt rifle I will most always take a 30-06 because I think it is a better round for hunting.

Are you a backpack hunter or use a daypack? I went to a daypack with an internal frame and better load bearing system. Made a world of difference.
I use a day pack but because I am diabetic I carry enough supplies in case I have to spend the night. A bad time to start having your glucose drop is when you have ran out of food.

Let me explain I prefer the 30-06 in a bolt rifle over a 308. I prefer 308 in my m1a or my fals and yes I now have a bolt 308. I prefer the 30 savage in my model 99. I do not think the 300 savage is as powerful as a 308 and I dont think a 308 is as powerful as a 30-06. If given a choice between a 308 or a 3006 in s bolt rifle I will most always take a 30-06 because I think it is a better round for hunting.
All good buddy I mistakenly thought regerts was the one with the love for the savage. I apologize to you and regerts for the mistake.

I was not aware that metric cartridge designations were "tacticool". These days, I do almost all my shooting alone or with my spouse on our own land, neither of whom are concerned with being "tacticool", so there isn't many discussions with strangers on the topic. To be candid, I am not entirely sure what that word means, but I presume it has something to do with whatever black, plastic pistol or carbines are presently fashionable.

After reading this thread, I became aware of a habit that I developed on other writing venues, some of which had a much higher ratio of international shooters, that has carried over to this fora. That being, putting a parenthetical notation following an American cartridge, if there is a common metric counterpart. Admittedly here, with the vast majority of contributors being fellow Yankees, it is superfluous. Old habits dying hard or something like that, though I cannot imagine any harm in the additional data.

As a passing reference to hunting in Africa was made, I thought I would mention a book I have been enjoying on the topic: Safari Rifles, by Craig Boddington, Safari Press (Long Beach, California), 1990.

Speaking of topic, I believe I meandered off said, and therefore will leave it there.

I was not aware that metric cartridge designations were "tacticool". These days, I do almost all my shooting alone or with my spouse on our own land, neither of whom are concerned with being "tacticool", so there isn't many discussions with strangers on the topic. To be candid, I am not entirely sure what that word means, but I presume it has something to do with whatever black, plastic pistol or carbines are presently fashionable.

After reading this thread, I became aware of a habit that I developed on other writing venues, some of which had a much higher ratio of international shooters, that has carried over to this fora. That being, putting a parenthetical notation following an American cartridge, if there is a common metric counterpart. Admittedly here, with the vast majority of contributors being fellow Yankees, it is superfluous. Old habits dying hard or something like that, though I cannot imagine any harm in the additional data.

As a passing reference to hunting in Africa was made, I thought I would mention along a book I have been enjoying on the topic: Safari Rifles, by Craig Boddington, Safari Press (Long Beach, California), 1990.

Speaking of topic, I believe I meandered off said, and therefore will leave it there.
dont20worry20sir20im20from20the20internetui7.jpg
This might have something to do with tacticool....

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top