JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know of folks who have gut shot shot deer with 230gr Bergers out of a 300 RUM, and the deer ran off. Bullet placement and construction matter.

That being said, Bell likely had a better power/critter ratio on elephants than a 22lr on deer.

If you want to use this conversation as an excuse for buying a correct elephant rifle (450-600 caliber), I'm good with it.

I know of folks who have gut shot shot deer with 230gr Bergers out of a 300 RUM, and the deer ran off. Bullet placement and construction matter.

That being said, Bell likely had a better power/critter ratio on elephants than a 22lr on deer.

If you want to use this conversation as an excuse for buying a correct elephant rifle (450-600 caliber), I'm good with it.
I really don't need a elephant rifle however I do believe in humanely killing animals that I hunt and that requires enough gun. I am strong supporter of the 7X57 as I have two and personally cannot imagine hunting anything bigger than elk with them and the shots I would take with them would need to be more selective than if I was carrying a 338. Yes bullet placement rules. In the case of Bell he had to temple shoot the elephant from the side with the 7X57 and If I remember right from my reading he used FMJ rounds that did not expand.

So, noticed that the tacticool crowd always speaks in NATO Euro-peon jargon. Maybe its to sound more military or maybe they hate America, who knows. If you arent shooting something measured in millimeters with minimal recoil, you're just NOT tacticool. Here is how to make your boring hunting guns and ammo sound cool! That, and when you measure in millimeters, everything sounds smaller and less intimidating to satisfy the 9mm and 6.5 Creedmoor guys.

22-250 Remington: 5.56x47
243 Winchester: 6.17x51
25-06 Remington: 6.3x63
260 Remington: 6.5x51
270 Winchester: 6.8x64
30-06: 7.62x63
300 Win Mag: 7.62x67

I had to learn to dope in metric in my military days. All of our maps were UTM's so KM's and Meters. So navigation in KM's was needed. We were required to convert Standard, Metric, and Imperial Measurements on the fly. As a civilian I work in science, and we use mostly metric. I convert metric to standard when I produce civil maps. I studied precision shooting in the military, and I studied some police sniping materials as there were limited options aside from Sniper School folks who had very limited platforms and optics in those days. The folks overseas using metric were dominating the precision shooting scene, and for the most part still do. There's a difference between shooting a man-threat on the first shot and shooting competitively. The real-world threat scenario involves many variables, and few static components, Snipers and DM's cope with issues that the greatest long range shooters in the civilian world do not. Working in science, spatial science specifically, metric system is the standard. I also use other measurement units that are very specific to certain scientific process. In some cases I have to develop my own algorithms, process, and unique ways to quantify various phenomenon. All the former military folks like myself that shoot with metric measurements do not "hate America" I can assure you. I dope my carbine in meters, it's just more accurate: and the sighting system is designed for meters. I don't invest much thought into what folks think is Tacticool, but I understand the fundamentals of ballistics and measurement, and metric is the way to go if you have any association with military arms and methods. You also have different spatial measurements used in long range shooting, they are just different ways of slicing the pie so to speak. Use what works for you. But I can promise you if you get into long range shooting if you shoot Standard, you will be converting to Metric at some point if you get off the static range.

I had to learn to dope in metric in my military days. All of our maps were UTM's so KM's and Meters. So navigation in KM's was needed. We were required to convert Standard, Metric, and Imperial Measurements on the fly. As a civilian I work in science, and we use mostly metric. I convert metric to standard when I produce civil maps. I studied precision shooting in the military, and I studied some police sniping materials as there were limited options aside from Sniper School folks who had very limited platforms and optics in those days. The folks overseas using metric were dominating the precision shooting scene, and for the most part still do. There's a difference between shooting a man-threat on the first shot and shooting competitively. The real-world threat scenario involves many variables, and few static components, Snipers and DM's cope with issues that the greatest long range shooters in the civilian world do not. Working in science, spatial science specifically, metric system is the standard. I also use other measurement units that are very specific to certain scientific process. In some cases I have to develop my own algorithms, process, and unique ways to quantify various phenomenon. All the former military folks like myself that shoot with metric measurements do not "hate America" I can assure you. I dope my carbine in meters, it's just more accurate: and the sighting system is designed for meters. I don't invest much thought into what folks think is Tacticool, but I understand the fundamentals of ballistics and measurement, and metric is the way to go if you have any association with military arms and methods. You also have different spatial measurements used in long range shooting, they are just different ways of slicing the pie so to speak. Use what works for you. But I can promise you if you get into long range shooting if you shoot Standard, you will be converting to Metric at some point if you get off the static range.
I agree pretty much 100%, I believe the OP does as well. He wasn't talking about those of us that use the metric system in our work. I understood he was talking about the wannabes that get all educated in military jargon so as to be badazzes.
Of course I can't speak for @No_Regerts but that's the way I read it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top