JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My grill is old, beat up and at least 10 years old. The stainless grill bars are starting to split? What would cause this?

8CA14474-99DC-42FD-B540-7784FBA66B8F.jpeg

Intergranular corrosion.

" Cr-Mn and Cr-Mn-Ni steels are also susceptible to intergranular corrosion following sensitization in the temperature range of 420 °C–850 °C. In the case of the austenitic stainless steels, when these steels are sensitized by being heated in the temperature range of about 520 °C to 800 °C, depletion of chromium in the grain boundary region occurs, resulting in susceptibility to intergranular corrosion. Such sensitization of austenitic stainless steels can readily occur because of temperature service requirements, as in steam generators, or as a result of subsequent welding of the formed structure."

Thanks! Crazy looking to be honest, I've never seen such a thing before. My grill has been a good tool over the years, it is in drastic need of new components!

Intergranular corrosion.

" Cr-Mn and Cr-Mn-Ni steels are also susceptible to intergranular corrosion following sensitization in the temperature range of 420 °C–850 °C. In the case of the austenitic stainless steels, when these steels are sensitized by being heated in the temperature range of about 520 °C to 800 °C, depletion of chromium in the grain boundary region occurs, resulting in susceptibility to intergranular corrosion. Such sensitization of austenitic stainless steels can readily occur because of temperature service requirements, as in steam generators, or as a result of subsequent welding of the formed structure."

Thanks.
I learned something new today. :s0115:

Intergranular corrosion.

Thanks.
I learned something new today. :s0115:
Doncha just love this place? :)

To my surprise I found a complete rebuild kit for my exact model grill on the internet. Got all new stainless steel burners, heat dispersers, and cook grate.

76CBF282-A3E5-49E9-A9EC-795C78380482.jpeg

Now that's amazing!!
No joke, it is an old, no longer exists company made by Lowe's back 10-12 years ago. The outside of its is all stainless and looks great considering its age. The bolts holding it together surprisingly still have good integrity for their age. I spray the non stainless parts with a rust fighting lubricant every year. I Try to keep the basin clean and scrape the carbon and gunk off 1-2 times a year. Always keep the grease trap clean as since moving to Oregon I've learned possums have a taste for the stuff. Only thing I need to try and find now is a new thermometer, the one on the lid is pretty much gone.

. Only thing I need to try and find now is a new thermometer, the one on the lid is pretty much gone.
lots of lid thermometers out there. I snagged an extra from a Coastal Farms for $20 not too long ago. By GMG so the thermo was the same siZe as the hole in the lid.

No joke, it is an old, no longer exists company made by Lowe's back 10-12 years ago. The outside of its is all stainless and looks great considering its age. The bolts holding it together surprisingly still have good integrity for their age. I spray the non stainless parts with a rust fighting lubricant every year. I Try to keep the basin clean and scrape the carbon and gunk off 1-2 times a year. Always keep the grease trap clean as since moving to Oregon I've learned possums have a taste for the stuff. Only thing I need to try and find now is a new thermometer, the one on the lid is pretty much gone.

I'm running a China made Ducane for close to 20 years. All stainless. I replace the deflectors and burners every year, year and a half, depending on use. BBQparts.com is a place that carries a lot of parts. My pan underneath the burners rusted out long ago in places. I use the munged out deflectors, flattened with a hammer, to line the rusted out pan. Still going strong!

My grills are original still. I look at the grills out there these days and see total crap. One piece of advice for anyone buying a new grill, get one with stainless steel grills. NO cast iron! It will turn to rusty crap without constant maintenance. NO porcelain coated steel! Same as cast iron after that porcelain cracks and falls off. And it WILL crack and fall off!

I'm running a China made Ducane for close to 20 years. All stainless. I replace the deflectors and burners every year, year and a half, depending on use. BBQparts.com is a place that carries a lot of parts. My pan underneath the burners rusted out long ago in places. I use the munged out deflectors, flattened with a hammer, to line the rusted out pan. Still going strong!

My grills are original still. I look at the grills out there these days and see total crap. One piece of advice for anyone buying a new grill, get one with stainless steel grills. NO cast iron! It will turn to rusty crap without constant maintenance. NO porcelain coated steel! Same as cast iron after that porcelain cracks and falls off. And it WILL crack and fall off!

If ya'll stop cooking with the girl scout gas you dont need to fix or replace nearly as many parts.....:D

If ya'll stop cooking with the girl scout gas you dont need to fix or replace nearly as many parts.....:D

I have a Weber kettle too. :s0155: Burgers, teriyaki chicken thighs, grilled vegies, and some other quick cooking things, on the gas grill! the Weber is mostly when I've got stuff I want to smoke. Indirect heat with a drip pan in the middle. My preferred wood is apple.

Who doesn't enjoy the taste of rust in their ribs though?

I had a Weber. It didn't last 3 years up here. Rusted out pretty quickly. I have considered one of the EGG type ceramic ones.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top