JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
its a fiber optic. it doesnt work in the dark(4:25) unless it has a light source. i think if the idea behind the truglo TFO night sights was incorporated into this system it would be great!

Neat. Kinda like the old Guttersnipe on the ASP..

th?id=OIP.Mc5834b11d93a1879e4ffd7fb4e12f4d8H0&pid=15.1.jpg

Im glad I dont have to bother with buying new sights.. I love the night sights that come stock on my sig 1911 and 938.. can leave those pistols in the safe for a month and pull them out in the night time with no lights around.. Sights are nice and bright and easy to aquire.

A few years ago TAS invented the fiber-optic version of the sight. Meprolight saw potential and purchased the design. Meprolight's engineers went about improving the sight by adding tritium, adding a lens, and enhancing the reticle. It works in all lighting conditions.

As a disclaimer, I work for Meprolight's marketing/ad agency which has also afforded me the opportunity to use the sight. I prefer the green dot version as I can see it much clearer. Later this week we will be releasing more video's of Brian Sargent banging steel head plates at 75 ft and some novice shooters using it.

Actually that video was for the old sights Meprolight upgraded them with tritium.

Here's the newer design

Basically, it is a micro red dot sight, although you can choose green. The low profile design allows you to continue using your normal holster, whereas most pistol red dot sights are mounted on top of the slide.

This is a combat sight. You line up the dot inside the circle for your sight picture and you're on target. I adjusted fairly quick to using only the rear sight. Like any new addition to your gun, you need to train and practice using it.

Prototypes were shown last year at SHOT show and Program Managers from Naval Special Warfare and Air Force Special Operations Command looked at the prototypes and ordered samples for testing. Thus far their feedback has been positive.

Cool thanks for the info.

So this is basically a in between of standard sites and a RMR style red dot?

@marks1 I looked into the TAS sights last year. I liked the sight concept, but stayed away due to being only fiber optic. It surprises me Meprolight managed to buy the design. Nevertheless, it's good to see an advancement in design to incorporate tritium. At the time I was interested, TAS was only available through one, maybe two distributors on the East coast. I tried getting the sights as a demo model to share with others at the range, in hopes to get a local dealer to stock them on the West coast. The manufacturer was not fond of the idea, so we never pursued it further.

If there was an opportunity to test them with the new tritium update, I would likely buy a set or two. Once the fellas at the range seen, and tried them, my guess is there would be several sales.

Actually that video was for the old sights Meprolight upgraded them with tritium.

Here's the newer design

I'm liking the idea of those sights, but gawd that video...
I can overlook the stammering and the stream-of-consciousness that goes nowhere; I can almost forgive him for his terrible safety protocol (magazine in, never shows clear, and accidentally drops(!) the gun on the floor).
But that hangnail on his thumb??
Atrocious.

Yeah these really intrigue me over having to go the slide cut and red dot route for a range sights on my G34, but for $200 I would want to see them in action first.

I usually have an issue with lining up the front sight well for accurate shots and this may help with that.

I was also looking at the XS big dots.
May pick those up anyway for my carry gun

Apparently they require no sighting-in and have no provision to adjust windage or elevation? At least it's not addressed in either video.
I guess it could be moved sideways in the dovetail if necessary.

Im skeptical, seems non-intuative to focus on the rear sight then align with your target.

If they could do this with the front sight now that would be something, they could get rid of the rear sight altogether.

Front or rear they should get rid of the side plates, no longer needed for this type of sight alignment and would give a larger field of view on the sight picture, especially with a dead hold zero.

Can't adjust elevation, and can only adjust windage by drifting the sight's dovetail in the channel.

Apparently they require no sighting-in and have no provision to adjust windage or elevation? At least it's not addressed in either video.
I guess it could be moved sideways in the dovetail if necessary.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top