JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Memaloose is closed.

Based on the information I got here in the last few posts, I thought it would be open and drove from Portland to shoot there today. At the base of the road were two concrete blocks and a "road close" sign, all pulled to one side. I chose to drive past them. About a mile and a half up, I encountered an equipment operator grading a section of road. He informed me that it was closed. He said that higher up, they were putting in a new culvert and had dug a ditch across the roadway, rendering it impassible.

We went shooting on Fish Creek Rd., the next real road further east on 224.

This is accurate as of this morning, 10/13.

JOsh

Oh there were actual guys up there doing work on the road. I saw and spoke with "them." I don't know anything about the local road maintenance politics. I know that that's often a rough road and a culvert might be a useful thing.

Fish Creek was ok but not ideal. It was my first time up there and I would have way preferred the quarry on Memaloose. It's a good paved road but there were fewer obvious places of pull off for the first few miles because the road is sandwiched between a river and a steep hillside. I wound upwards, staying on pavement, until the first big obvious right-hand turnoff, which is on the uphill side. I parked there, jumped a pair of ditches, and we had a nice berm for handguns and a little range for .22 rifles.

Fish Creek Road is the next real road past Memaloose as you head east on 224 from Estacada. It's a couple more miles down 224, on the right. You'll cross two steel bridges, then it's on your right.

Josh

The equipment operator I spoke with suggested that it was and that you could get up to the quarry by coming from the other side. I didn't know how to do that, didn't have a map, and didn't want to spend the time exploring. The work they're doing is between 224 and the quarry, so seemingly that's the only blockage.

Josh

Thanks! Hillockburn road comes down onto 211 south of Estacada a few miles. If you follow it up it eventually turns to gravel and then it is a winding road for many miles to the Gravel Pit. It is definitely the longer way to get there.

the road is open from hillockburn. It's not hard to get from hillockburn to the memaloose quarry. It's a bit further. Approximately 20 miles from hwy 211. When the pavement ends you stay to the left, heading down. You will come to another split just stay left again, to the right it is pavement. Then a bit further there will be a T and you want to go left and that is memaloose road. There is a few more quarry's up there along the way. If you want you could google maps a route. Hope this helps.

I heard a bit more info aout this. I guess the road is only open on weekends and is closed during the week for repairs which is why some people have made it up and others hit road blocks.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top