JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for a GM carburetor idle mixture adjustment tool. Double-D head, flexible shaft preferred, for the Rochester Quadra-Jet. I can get a cheapy on line with a straight shaft but it's going to be easier with the flexible. Somewhere in the potland area? NE would be fabulous.

I'm in a situation where the ol' '84 GMC pick-up is a few miniscule fractions off passing hydrocarbons and CO. I'm thinking if I could get those idle mixture screws leaned out just a pinch she'd go through.

Isn't it old enough to be smog exempt?

You didn't notice where I am? I sat here finishing my breakfast while perusing the beautiful "Snohomish County". Where it looks like you could be into open spaces in about ten minutes if you live in the city up there. I live in the crap hole potland, within the crap hole Multco. They'd never give up the DEQ testing cash cow of vehicles 45 years old. 1975 is the cut-off date! They just raised the fee by another $5.00, and tags by $10.00 The guy I got at DEQ was being trained. Didn't know how to use the mirror to check the cats. Had to go to another lane to get a second sniffer/hose for the duel's. As the trainer was discussing my readout with the trainee I heard him refer to the age of the vehicle, and in a somewhat demeaning to said we consider these vehicles "Implements". Punk! I've got the GM bad paint from "Those" years. And some rust where they rust in that era, but the truck runs and drives like it did when I got it new in 1984. Put a GM crate motor in it a few years ago. It tows my boat, hauls plywood, washer/dryer, what ever is needed. Has a bed in the back too from when we used to camp. "Implement" MY bubblegum!

Not ranting at you, ranting TO you. Thanks for reading! :s0155:

I bet @v0lcom13sn0w might be able to help you out if ya asked real nice!
If ya need, I do have the flex shaft drivers, but not sure I have the correct bit!

Yes we had a discussion. Even if he had the tool he's no where near me. I'll be able to get something. Heck, I've got a year to get it passed. And I don't think potland cares if your running around unlicensed. I can build a barrier in the middle of the road and throw bottles and rocks at police cars and not get charged with a crime!

Auto zone/O'rilley's might have one.

"You didn't notice where I am?"
Yeah, but I am not conversant with the relevant laws in the Demokratik Peoples' Republik of Potland.

FWIW, I realize that a shop in Kirkland won't help OP, but for those within range I had excellent results from Carburetor Connection in Kirkland.
I had an '85 Olds Cutlass Supreme with a mildly built engine that was set up for max adjustability vis-a-vis setting the carb for power or emissions. They set it up to pass, after which I could re-tune it to run right. I saw a lot of really expensive performance cars (stuff like Turbo Porsches) in the shop, so it's a good bet they know what they're doing. I was satisfied and have no qualms in recommending them.

Admittedly it's been awhile since I lives in the try-counties area but back in the day DEQ tunes were a thing at most mechanic shops. Drive in get "tuned", go get tested and then get the car put back to running right.

"You didn't notice where I am?"
Yeah, but I am not conversant with the relevant laws in the Demokratik Peoples' Republik of Potland.

FWIW, I realize that a shop in Kirkland won't help OP, but for those within range I had excellent results from Carburetor Connection in Kirkland.
I had an '85 Olds Cutlass Supreme with a mildly built engine that was set up for max adjustability vis-a-vis setting the carb for power or emissions. They set it up to pass, after which I could re-tune it to run right. I saw a lot of really expensive performance cars (stuff like Turbo Porsches) in the shop, so it's a good bet they know what they're doing. I was satisfied and have no qualms in recommending them.

I hadn't mentioned, this crate motor I had put in was to replace a piece o' crap rebuilt I put in after the original started getting blow-by/worn rings around 140,000 miles Whoever rebuilt it shouldn't have been in the biz. It probably wasn't bored, and guessing they didn't do a proper head job on it, as the oil burning indicated valve guides. With seepy main seals after 10 thou. The current crate motor has a mild cam and complimentary aluminum taller manifold. Totally disconnected from all the old pollution control stuff.

I'm pretty sure I could take this back to the installer and for a C-note get the adjustment. But it looks pretty straight forward to lean it out just the slightest, and hope that will do it. It don't cost nuthin' to fail!

Who still uses a QuadraJet?

Oh, you do. Never mind. ;)
Sorry.

When I had that crate motor put in I dealt with Bruce Murray, at Majhor Murray, in person. We discussed having a Holley, or even fuel injection put on it. He poo-poo'd both due to a lot of extra cost for injection, and that the QuadraJet was actually an excellent carb. I've also read the same in researching the needed adjustment. The key is being knowledgeable on setting it up. Being as he's a master in the older stuff he set it up great.

When I had that crate motor put in I dealt with Bruce Murray, at Majhor Murray, in person. We discussed having a Holley, or even fuel injection put on it. He poo-poo'd both due to a lot of extra cost for injection, and that the QuadraJet was actually an excellent carb. I've also read the same in researching the needed adjustment. The key is being knowledgeable on setting it up. Being as he's a master in the older stuff he set it up great.
the QJ is an excellent carb! :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR