JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I received this email today.
I think we need to be aware of this group, as they have proposed legislation to require background checks for private sales.
Here is the email:

Joseph -

Yesterday brought America more tragic news about senseless shootings. A gunman walked into a Detroit police station and opened fire, wounding four officers, including a commander, before he was shot and killed by police. In Washington state, a shootout in front of a Walmart left two more people dead and two sheriff's deputies wounded.

In fact, 34 people are murdered with firearms every day in America.

Most Americans, whether they think every citizen should own a gun or no one should own a gun, want to reduce gun violence. That's why, after Ronald Reagan and James Brady were shot in an assassination attempt, a bipartisan coalition in Congress added a background check system to strengthen our existing laws to keep guns out of the hands of felons, drug abusers, and the mentally ill.

The flaws in the background check system have been exposed again and again over the years, in the massacres at Columbine and Virginia Tech, and now again in Arizona, Michigan, and Washington state.

This is our moment to fix background checks and make America safer. A coalition of 550 Mayors nationwide, led by Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York, are launching a campaign calling on Congress to close the loopholes in the background check system today. They will need our help to win.

Add your name and call on Congress to fix background check loopholes now

Mayors Against Illegal Guns have two important changes to the system that will fix background checks and make America safer.

#1 -- Fix the Holes in the Background Database:

Existing laws already outlaw criminals, drug abusers, the mentally ill, and other dangerous people from passing a background check. The problem is state and federal agencies aren't required by law or funded by Congress to supply that information to the background check system and possibly as many as one million prohibited purchasers are missing from the background database.

A new law would create full funding and necessary incentives for states and federal agencies to comply with reporting requirements and make sure every legally prohibited purchaser is included in the background check database.

#2 -- Sell No Gun Without A Check:

Under the current system, even if a Prohibited Purchaser like the Virginia Tech or Tucson shooters would fail a background check, they could still have walked into any gun show and bought a car load of guns with no background check, no questions asked.

A new law would close all of the loopholes and require background checks for every gun sale, with reasonable exceptions for law enforcement and certain gun permit holders.
Join the campaign and add your name

Security isn't just about having guns, it's about keeping our communities safe for everyone. When progressives stand up for our values of strong communities, personal security, and liberty for all, America wins.

Thank you for everything you do.

-Charles

Charles Chamberlain, Political Director
Democracy for America

The website for Mayors against illegal guns is <broken link removed>
A link to their proposed plan, which would ban private sales without a background check is <broken link removed>

MAIG has been around for years. Nothing new. In fact, the list of mayors associated with MAIG is about half of what they claim. Once the majority of mayors found out bloombergs agenda they dropped all association with MAIG.

In Washington state, a shootout in front of a Walmart left two more people dead and two sheriff's deputies wounded.

If this is in referense to the Port Orcard shooting, it should be noted that it was a police officer who shot and killed the two persons and one of the dead was an unarmed child.

Ranb

If this is in referense to the Port Orcard shooting, it should be noted that it was a police officer who shot and killed the two persons and one of the dead was an unarmed child.

Ranb

Wow that is a serious propaganda post there, sorry no sale here, just because the guys "accomplice " was 13 years old girl does not provide her a invincibility cloak of off limits when she is with her boyfriend who is firing at and hitting the police.

It seems people for the most part are either 100% anti police and all cops are bad or 100% pro police and all cops are right even when wrong, there seems to be no middle ground. :huh:

Wow that is a serious propaganda post there, sorry no sale here, just because the guys "accomplice " was 13 years old girl does not provide her a invincibility cloak of off limits when she is with her boyfriend who is firing at and hitting the police.
It seems people for the most part are either 100% anti police and all cops are bad or 100% pro police and all cops are right even when wrong, there seems to be no middle ground. :huh:

I don't care if it was a 5-yr. old girl with a limp, speech impediment, going bald from Alopecia and wearing Little Orphan Annie PJ's doing the shooting... I'd have emptied the magazine into her if I had been there at the right time and right place.

WTF? The point I was trying to make is that some people try to show that children are being shot at by "us", not the police. The part of the article I quoted was made into a propaganda hit piece to smear gun owners simply by omitting the fact that it was the police killing people, including one unarmed female child

How is it that you guys do not understand that every person (including kids) shot in the USA is used by the gun control crowd to say that we are not responsible enough to own guns? When the friggin Brady Bunch quotes statistics that say a certain number of children were killed with guns, they conveniently forget to say that some of them were killed by cops or are gang bangers killing each other.

All I did was point some information that was omitted from the article and some people here are too willing to assume that I am taking a side they oppose. I have said before and will say it again here. The reason we have such messed up gun control laws in the USA is that too many gun owners are cannibals who want to feed on each other instead of teaming up to do some good.

Take a look at my posting record on this forum. I am all about the RKBA; I do not compromise on gun control at all.

Ranb

WTF? The point I was trying to make is that some people try to show that children are being shot at by "us", not the police. The part of the article I quoted was made into a propaganda hit piece to smear gun owners simply by omitting the fact that it was the police killing people, including one unarmed female child

I don't buy that. You made it a point to ensure we all knew that police shot an unarmed kid.

How is it that you guys do not understand that every person (including kids) shot in the USA is used by the gun control crowd to say that we are not responsible enough to own guns? When the friggin Brady Bunch quotes statistics that say a certain number of children were killed with guns, they conveniently forget to say that some of them were killed by cops or are gang bangers killing each other.

Nice, lumping the cops and gang bangers together... nice.

All I did was point some information that was omitted from the article and some people here are too willing to assume that I am taking a side they oppose. I have said before and will say it again here. The reason we have such messed up gun control laws in the USA is that too many gun owners are cannibals who want to feed on each other instead of teaming up to do some good.

No, I think you were trying to stir the pot. "Teaming up" to find a group everyone can hate, right?

Take a look at my posting record on this forum. I am all about the RKBA; I do not compromise on gun control at all.

Ranb

There is no reason to not know that the police shot a kid, it happens. I was not lumping cops and gang bangers together. Kids get shot by both in this country.

If anyone is stirring the pot, it is the people reading much more into what I am saying and making accusations with no evidence to back it up. It should be no surprise that some gun owners act like cannibals, some of them are right here in this thread. Remember when the Brady Campaign called silencers illegal? That was making accusations without evidence, exactly what you are doing now.

Ranb

Nice, lumping the cops and gang bangers together... nice.

I think what Ranb is saying is they use summary statistics giving a number of children in an age group that were killed with firearms. They don't filter out any whether it's a five year old shot by the police or a 14 year old gangster getting killed because they're a gangster. They hope people assume that all these deaths are preventable and caused by the negligence of us evil gun owners.

Got to love statisctics...

funny-headlines-4.jpg

"'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics"

:s0114: Brilliant!! I always knew that 123.2% of those teenage pregnancies were avoidable :s0114:

Politicians use statistics like drunkards use lampposts: not for illumination, but for support. - attributed to Hahns Kuhn

There are two kinds of statistics, the kind you look up and the kind you make up. - Archie Goodwin a fictional character in a Rex Stout novel

80 million gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did! And a few cops shot a few criminals today, just not enough of them!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

I think what Ranb is saying is they use summary statistics giving a number of children in an age group that were killed with firearms. They don't filter out any whether it's a five year old shot by the police or a 14 year old gangster getting killed because they're a gangster. They hope people assume that all these deaths are preventable and caused by the negligence of us evil gun owners.

+1 This is exactly true. When antis site statistics that 200 kids were shot last year (or whatever) they include kids who were criminals shot by police, kids who were gang members shot by other gang members, and so forth. It's not "kids killed accidentally" or "kids unjustifiably killed." For that matter, the statistics often use "kids" up to the age of 25. The Kleck & Kates book Armed talks about this, as does Lott's The Bias Against Guns.

This does not report if the shooters where left or right handed. There might be some significance in this, a social guidance study maybe funded by your local government. Probably a study could be done to see if this was a feasible project for mayors to back. If I recall we have the best politicians :eek:money can buy.Spad

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top