JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently got sporting Mauser 98 with Gew 98 receiver and K98 bolt and love the rifle. Tonight my curiosity decided to measure the firing pin protrusion even though there was no any need of doing it. I found a video on youtube how to activate the firing pin while bolt it not inside the rifle. Unfortunately, now the bolt is jammed and can't go into rifle and I can't figure out how to disassembly it. The cocking piece is lowered and safety piece is jammed. Does anyone known a trick to disassembly the bolt and fix this issue.

Thanks in Advance,

Dan

It is a good video and straight to the point. A lot of people have a bad tendency to make YT video about some topic, and spend most of the time talking about something not related to that topic

Yup.....I've had my share of problems with my sporters. One of my biggest problems was with a half done conversion to .30-06 from 8mm. The rounds wouldn't feed from the magazine. Sporting rounds was no problem. But military M2 was a problem. I guess that is why I got it cheap. HA, Ha, ha...

Aloha, Mark

Mine is also in 30-06 Spring with RA-44 barrel (my research indicates these were made by Remington and if anyone has some more information about them, I would highly appreciate) and it is surprisingly accurate rifle. Mine has peep sights that I like a lot because I am very near-sighted and I have tough time using any other type of iron sights (when shooting with glasses everything too close to me is blurry, and when shooting without glasses everything away is blurry). Rifle hardware including receiver are from Gew 98 and bolt is from K98 (all bolt parts match by serial number). So far I tried 3 different 30-06 ammo and they all recycled super smooth. I got the rifle 5 days ago and shot about 70 rounds and not a single one got jammed or even hesitated to go in or to pop-out. Sunday night I completely disassembled it, cleaned it and lubed mechanical parts. There is no a single rust spot. One thing about old rifles that I like (and in general old precision machined items) is history behind them. When I hold mine, I think about all the people who used that rifle. For me it is almost a honor to hold it after multiple generations used it. I am going to take some nice pictures of it and post it here.

Some pictures.

Gew98#1.jpg Gew98#2.jpg Gew98#3.jpg Gew98#4.jpg Gew98#5.jpg Gew98#6.jpg Gew98#7.jpg

173243d1262995828backpa.jpg

Aloha, Mark

PS.....the RA-44 barrel has me thinking that the gunsmith probably took a replacement barrel intended for a Springfield 1903 and used it for your conversion. I mean like, why let a good barrel go to waste? And, I have no idea about the threads.