JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A lot of 8mm ammo is corrosive. So.....clean it correctly (especially unk surplus ammo). I clean rifles shot with corrosive ammo with hot/soapy water. Followed by regular bore cleaner, patches and oiled patches. And I clean it ASAP (when I get home, don't put it off).

As I heard it... The Yugoslav Military standardized their 8mm Mausers (M24/47, M48 and M48A etc...) with an action size and bolt (call it an Intermediate action) that was about a 1/8" shorter than the standard German K98k action and bolt.

Yes, there were plenty of German captured rifles too. Though post war ....they standardized their inventory.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Lots of good info here- as you don't hunt, reloading isn't going to be worthwhile when you can source the ammunition as you have. I shoot one of the Rem 700 "classic" rifles. With the handloads it is the full equal if not a bit more than the old '06. And this is coming from a 30-06 guy and family! Enjoy it, and make sure you clean it after shooting the corrosive surplus.

Happy shooting!
Bill

Lots of good info here- as you don't hunt, reloading isn't going to be worthwhile when you can source the ammunition as you have. I shoot one of the Rem 700 "classic" rifles. With the handloads it is the full equal if not a bit more than the old '06. And this is coming from a 30-06 guy and family! Enjoy it, and make sure you clean it after shooting the corrosive surplus.

Happy shooting!
Bill

Explain? More powder + more BC + more bullet choices = less?

You'd be pushing her pretty hard to get 2550 out of an 8mm with 180gr bullets. A 30-06 will do 2800 easy while having greater BC and SD.

Greetings Regerts- Thank you for the response. Although it could be very technical think of it this way. Less powder, better pressure and larger diameter yield a more desirable end product. Because it "could" doesn't necessarily mean it should. My pet load for the '06 is just a half grain more than the 8mauser. And that is using a 150 grain in the 30, while a 170-175 in the 8. Because it looks better on paper or on the interweb with many web ninja's don't necessarily make 'er so. Seeing a 175 go stem/stern on a rutted whitetail at 225 made me a believer. PM with a phone# and I will gladly visit. I won't bore the rest with the intricacies. I look forward to a visit.
Bill

When cleaning the barrel after using corrosive ammo. I dump hot water down and then immediately run a bronze brush with a patch wrapped around it then more hot water. Compressed air drying. Then regular cleaning.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top