JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Example: Abandoned car is towed by Bubba's Hook Service. It is impounded and daily fees start to accrue. The vehicle owner pays the fees or Bubba sells the car at auction. If the car goes to auction the buyer still has to pay DMV fees to process the title and proper DEQ paperwork.
Bubba either gets paid for the towing and impound fees or the sale of the vehicle. That income is taxed = revenue for the government.
If the car goes to auction and is sold there are DMV/DEQ fees. Revenue for the government.

Remember the post-Sandy photos of the thousands of cars being stored at the airport? There were daily storage fees being paid by insurance companies. Directly or indirectly, the government gets their cut.

They slow down the clearing of roads exponetially. The longer it takes to clear the roads the more commerce is lost, meaning more tax revenue lost.

The state does not collect the fee from towing and impound.

Well then, that must seem like a great reason to take away our rights. Yep, ban us and impose ridiculous fines so as to be sure that the state keeps making money. Good one.

Patrick Declares State Of Emergency, Announces Travel Ban In Mass. « CBS Boston

"BOSTON (CBS) – Gov. Deval Patrick declared a state of emergency in Massachusetts Friday afternoon for the blizzard that could bring up to 3 feet of snow.

He also announced he has signed an executive order to ban all travel on all roads in the state starting at 4 p.m. Friday.

There are some exceptions to the ban, including emergency workers, those who work in hospitals and media, and others required to be at their jobs.

The governor said rapid snowfall of 2-3 inches per hour will make for, “extremely dangerous conditions,” and will “make safe travel nearly impossible.”

This is the first time that a Massachusetts governor has issued an executive order like this since the Blizzard of 1978.

But back then it was put in place after the storm.

Patrick did not say when this ban would be lifted.

If you don’t have an exemption and you’re caught on the road, the penalty could be as steep as a $500 fine or, at worst, a year in jail."

i can see that as being reasonable. if you have ZERO business driving in it, stay the hell home. emergency workers will be busy almost nonstop while that storm does its thing. they don't need anymore yahoos going into the storm, driving around, getting stuck, possibly freezing to death, and tying up emergency workers.

it's like the time hurricane ike stormed through houston some years back. i was apart of that "other" crowd who was able to be out during the curfew hours. i had every single reason to be out during those hours since i was driving a tractor-trailer through the city to get to where i was supposed to go. anybody who wasn't an emergency worker, truck driver, or something "other" was subject to being stopped, searched, and even arrested. it doesn't take a genius to figure out what kind of people would go out after curfew when they have no legitimate reason being out in the first place.

what is so difficult about using/having common sense?

What is so difficult about using/having common sense?

Because some of us do not like you or big brother telling us we cant even though you can. See you think just because you are driving a big rig you have a special privilege. I say keep your rear end at a truck stop and stay put, if we are banned from driving so should you. Fair? Common sense?

And you have ZERO business putting your nose in my business.
If i wanna go drive in 2 feet of snow it aint none of your business. If i get stuck and need help and someone comes out to help me then I should pay for that service and thats after I had tried to get out myself.

No one is making the rescue team come out to rescue me, its their right to, their choice.

If i wanna go drive in 2 feet of snow it aint none of your business. If i get stuck and need help and someone comes out to help me then I should pay for that service and thats after I had tried to get out myself.

No one is making the rescue team come out to rescue me, its their right to, there choice.

you're posting on a public forum. i have every reason as you do when it comes to responding. take your yuppie vehicle and go get it stuck somewhere. {=o)

What is so difficult about using/having common sense?

Because some of us do not like you or big brother telling us we cant even though you can. See you think just because you are driving a big rig you have a special privilege. I say keep your rear end at a truck stop and stay put, if we are banned from driving so should you. Fair? Common sense?

truck drivers are the soldiers of the road. everything you have in your possession was brought in on a truck. even though we aren't respected by most people, i do my job, and i do it well. if you don't want to do what you're told, you have no reason to whine when you're being hit with a fine. don't even bother trying to fight it in court. even if you're paying for a lawyer to help you fight some "unjust ticket", you're paying for it in another way, possibly more.

nice try, portlander. stay on THAT side of the river, please.

"it doesn't take a genius to figure out what kind of people would go out after curfew when they have no legitimate reason being out in the first place."

It might take someone like me. because I want too. But i guess some jerk feels the need to call me stupid because I grew up driving in snow and like it? Because where I now live i am lucky if I get to drive in 3 inches of snow. I will jump at the chance to drive it a foot deep of snow if I can. I do not need you Mr. Nanny telling me that I shouldn't because you think I do not have the ability to do it.

you're posting on a public forum. i have every reason as you do when it comes to responding. take your yuppie vehicle and go get it stuck somewhere. {=o)

It may be a yuppie vehicle but I am far from being a yuppie.

truck drivers are the soldiers of the road. everything you have in your possession was brought in on a truck. even though we aren't respected by most people, i do my job, and i do it well. if you don't want to do what you're told, you have no reason to whine when you're being hit with a fine. don't even bother trying to fight it in court. even if you're paying for a lawyer to help you fight some "unjust ticket", you're paying for it in another way, possibly more.

nice try, portlander. stay on THAT side of the river, please.

I did not say anthing about truckers. I said what I said to you. You just need to keep your own nose in your own business. You have no idea how I drive.

Just for you information. I have lived all over this country but now I reside here.

"it doesn't take a genius to figure out what kind of people would go out after curfew when they have no legitimate reason being out in the first place."

It make take someone like me. because I want too. But i guess some jerk feels the need to call me stupid because I grew up driving in snow and like it? Because where I now live i am lucky if I get to drive in 3 inches of snow. I will jump at the chance to drive it a foot deep of snow if I can. I do not need you Mr. Nanny telling me that I shouldn't because you think I do not have the ability to do it.

so that time and night i was in houston, they lit up and had their guns drawn on anybody who wasn't emergency services or truck drivers. would you go on about it being unjust if you were having guns pointed in your face, being ordered out of your vehicle? i bet you would. then you would probably get on some forum about your horrible experience, calling cops pigs and what not. but remember who it is you'll be calling when you need help. don't give me some BS rambo answer.

No one is making the rescue team come out to rescue me, its their right to, their choice.

You sound like a five year old. :s0140: 'I'm gonna do because I want, so nah!' You're right, no one has to rescue you. It's just their job. but, how do they know you aren't some thirty something mother with two small kids in the car who got caught in the storm. They go out and get hurt or die trying to save your life? grow up. . . Not everything has to be about your wants. How about thinking about others besides yourself.

You sound like a five year old. :s0140: 'I'm gonna do because I want, so nah!' You're right, no one has to rescue you. It's just their job. but, how do they know you aren't some thirty something mother with two small kids in the car who got caught in the storm. They go out and get hurt or die trying to save your life? grow up. . . Not everything has to be about your wants. How about thinking about others besides yourself.

I am. I think other adults should have the ability to drive in the snow if they want. It is not all about me. I have a wife and 4 children. I will not just throw them the keys and say have at it. At the same time I do not think people should so easily ban me or other adults from doing something that they think we might get in trouble by doing.

What? People who CHOOSE to have a job where they might have to risk danger to accomplish their job, might have to risk themselves? Maybe if they have a problem with that they should go take a job like EMT for only deserving people or EMT for people who don't drive in the snow, or Police who only help people who make good decisions. Or maybe they should just go get a job as an office assistant or something else safe.

Maybe the thread title should be changed to "My job title is more important than your freedom". How did we get so far down this rabbit hole?

Maybe the thread title should be changed to "My job title is more important than your freedom". How did we get so far down this rabbit hole?

LOL. Not the intent. What I'm saying is why take unreasonable risk and put others at risk to prove your point. Ever drive across the mountains in the winter? Take snow chains with you?

I think I wanna go scuba diving at the Great Barrier Reef, I am gonna take the Coast Guard with me.

Hahahaha...they will probably tell me I cant go because there may be sharks down there. And it is deep water so rescue divers may put themselves in danger trying to rescue me. :D

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top